Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Tank broke!!!! Help!

MiseryInc

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

Just to quickly point out everything is now safe and Whooper is alright before I start this.

Today at around 3 O'Clock, I was hoovering using a hand-held dyson and I tripped over my school bag and the hand-held dyson went straight through my tank creating a massively gaping hole through it!
As water was coming out (and a mix of other things - I'll come to that later), I used any home owners motherly instinct to grab Whooper (one hand loose around his neck and the other supporting him - I remember seeing a picture on these forums on how to do it) and put her into a bucket of water (conveniently there!) and she was fine but looked like she was in shock. I then reached around my cabinet, grabbed my pump (disconnected from the filter) and turned it on for her. Allowing a small amount of water to aerate the water for her.

So, Whooper was fine but now to the tank... Luckily, my brother walks through my door and I quickly shout him upstairs. He runs up and see's my arm gushing out with blood and sees the floor covered in water. He then just said "Oh, you Dild------." (which actually makes me laugh right now) but quickly rushed me to the hospital!

I had cut my vein, in my arm but by sheer luck it was only partly cut (I don't know the specifics yet) but I made sure I got my parents to look after the floor and Whooper.

So now. Lying in a hospital bed. Still not knowing what to do, I'm here. With my first post on this lovely forum (I applied yesterday for the registration) and sadistically hoping I could have made a more positive post than this and constantly keep thinking "At least I don't have to make another water change this week"!

So; I ask of you to really help me out here! I have £250. Luckily, it was JUST my birthday on Saturday and I have a lot of money to spare. I was thinking of expanding my tank anyway (it was an early birthday present but I would make my room, Whoopers tank if it were possible!) but I need some help with a new aquarium being found and a filter.

I've seen how kind everyone is on this forum so I would really appreciate the help (and so would Whooper!) please just try your best to find me a tank that would be really good for her at the same time as being in the price rang (and the filter) I actually have her friend on order right now!!! (calling him/her Murlo - after a Murloc from World of Warcarft)

Thank you so much!!

Tom

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
D'oh! I'm glad to hear you're both ok!

Whooper will be fine in a bucket for some time, as long as you do regular water changes. Don't rush too much getting a tank. Hopefully local members will have some suggestions for you.

Xoloto

Reaction score
oh wow i'm so sorry this happened to you ,it's my worse nightmare for this to happen .I hope your arm is okay and you recover quickly!

have you tried gumtree for any secondhand ones? if you live in scotland I have a spare 4ft one you could have for free as it's sitting in my garden.Pets at home also does pretty big tanks for £50 but they don't look that professional ,often you will find local aquatics that do custom built fishtanks and may even have pre-mades to buy ..I wish i was of more help but i've not been that great at looking for good fishtanks myself lol .

wish you all the best ♥

FX1C

Reaction score
Well there's nothing like joining a forum with an unforgettable entry :D

Oh my you poor thing!! I could see it all as described and truly feel your pain...

You've proved to be a good mama by saving your Whooper - top points!

As Kaysie said Whooper will be fine in a bucket / tub & isn't desperate for a tank do take time looking for something "just right" :D

I hope you recover quickly & I look forward to some less exciting posts from you ;) with pics of whooper too :)

Take care & Get well :)

Oh I forgot to say Welcome :D

<3 >o_o< <3

snuggly time

Reaction score
Welcome,

Hope your arm recovers soon! I'd say looking on gum tree or ebay is probably best. You can get some really good deals. Where abouts in the UK do you live? Someone local might be able to point out some good pet shops.

MiseryInc

Reaction score
Hi there guys thanks for the support!

Just wanted to update you all on Whooper and my tank.

So, I made the decision to keep Whooper in the bucket overnight with the filter on and as I walked into the room where she spent the night, she wasn't moving. At first, I touched the top of her head (she usually lets me stroke her / tries to bite my finger - potential food! Is that alright to do? I know they're fragile but it's really light!) and she wasn't moving. I then decided to increase the water flow (just to see if she moved without any physical contact) and of course she did; she was just sleeping and so she let out a little yawn and started her morning.

I was seriously glad! I wouldn't have been able to take my English and Physics exams properly if she went to the tank up in the sky (as another user put it). I never realised how much such a small animal can mean to you, in such a small space of time!

Now, I have a tank and I've used an industrial cleaner to sort out all my floor so that's all good. I won't be able to fill the water for a day or so to let my floor dry out with all the cleaning products in it!

I made the decision to take Whooper to a proper home and sent her to my local garden nursery (the place I A. Bought my tank from and B. Got her from) so hopefully she will be alright for the next few days! I hope! So I bought the guy who looks after her, a BIG box of chocolates =)

After my tank is ready, I will be adding her as well as her new friend (gender unknown) Murlo, who will be joining the tanks (get it?) :)

The tank at the moment is approximately 80-100 litres, but I'm really hoping on going all out with my summer job money and buying a BIG 300 Litre tank and getting a few more Axolotls along the way! =)

Thanks for the support guys! I will be posting some pics of Murlo and Whooper soon!

P.S. My arm isn't as bad as described above now, I fortunately have many "platelets" in my body, if that means anything to anyone here? The nurse said I have well over average platelet count so that's why it healed insanely fast.

Tom :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1