Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Naughty Little Parasites

Missamyy

Reaction score
So very recently i've noticed small white specs swimming around the tank. They look very unusual like small fish and can move like hell. They seem to be rather keen on sitting on my 2 Axie's. The Axie's aren't really worried about them at all, both are behaving normally and eating normally.
Water temp : 15 degrees
PH: 6.8-7
KH: 100
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite:0
Amonia: 0

This water has been filtered for 2 weeks prior to adding my axie's and had no parasites before adding them, the tank is a 96L, however they still insist on sitting on eachothers heads in one corner .
To me there is nother to suggest they are unhappy. My plan is to take a sample of water to an aquarium to see if they know what the hell these little kritters are!

Any information and suggestions would be greatly appriciated as i'm very much in love with my little newty's and would hate for something to happen to them :(

Cheers Amy x

Missamyy

Reaction score
Nope they look more like very tiny tiny fish. although, they don't moved like fish they jerk about strangely. Now one of my axie's has 'gone off' as it were and is now very lethargic. :S I can feel my stress levels rising !

Missamyy

Reaction score
You guys are wonderful! I think I just found that on the internet. A sigh of relief :)! There does seem to be a lot of them though is there a way I can reduce the numbers of them ?

JessKB

Reaction score
Theres not really any reason to get rid of them. They are a sign of a healthy tank. They will likely increase in numbers for a while and then the population will crash and modify itself to the number your tank can support.

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2

Tephra

Reaction score
I've had cope pod blooms as well. They don't do any harm. As said before, it just means your tank is healthy :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1