Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tail cut

Gangsterluff

Reaction score
This just happened in the last 15 minutes or so. I went to go wash dishes and I came back and his tail had a cut. I was so diligent as to not put anything sharp in there. I don't know how this could've happened! I leave for vacation tomorrow so I can't really stay around and monitor him, and that's what worries me. Will he be alright? Is there a high chance for bacterial/fungal infection? How long does it usually take for something like this to heal? I wouldn't normally be too worried, but I'm fixing to be gone for four days and I don't really know what to do. Advice?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369360355.495799.jpg

Last edited:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Sometimes they run into things. It will heal up just fine on its own. Within a week or two, you'll hardly notice it.

Gangsterluff

Reaction score
Thank goodness! I had a feeling I may have kinda over reacted a bit, but I'm glad to hear its not too big of a deal.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Tears in the tail fin are common, and almost always heal up without incident. Unless you see bleeding (doubtful with a small cut like that), I wouldn't start to panic.

Gangsterluff

Reaction score
Good! There wasn't any bleeding. I hardly even think he knows it's there. He's going about his buisness as usual. I'm pretty confident it'll heal up nicely now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!