Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Vomiting lotl

• Thread starter Deleted member 20061
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20061

So it seems I have two poorly little axies.

Toothless is still in a quarantine tub and receiving regular salt baths for fungus, though because it was such a small patch on her gills it's difficult to see if it's gone or not.

But now I'm worried about her sister, Astrid. Tonight and yesterday she ate her dinner of four chunks of earthworm, but then a short time later she regurgitated them all back up. They were still a little wriggly ewww! She was having a good nose through the pile right up until I removed them from the tank, so I'm not sure if that means she's still hungry. Is vomiting a sign of fungal infection at all? Should I be concerned? Would it be worth trying her on frozen bloodworms to see if she can keep them down? Or maybe just try her on fewer pieces of worm?

Thanks for any advice.

FX1C

Reaction score
Try cutting the worms into mouth width bite size chunks or feed smaller worms.

Mine will often be pigs & scoff up too many worms, which causes them to purge them a few minutes later, only to re-eat the vomited worms a couple of minutes after that - ewwww :eek:
They don't call them sea dogs for nothing lol

<3 >o_o< <3

snuggly time

Reaction score
Haha mine's done this a few times now after pigging out and his worms came out still wrigging after about 1 hour - so gross! I drop the bits of worm all around the tank so it gives him something to do and also slows down how fast he gobbles them up. I've had no problems since.

D

Deleted member 20061

Thanks guys, just finished feeding her a worm over the course of an hour and no problems so far. She used to be able to handle them no problem, I wonder why she can't do it now? :-(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1