Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Ammonia high!

tayo1991

Reaction score
I have been having so much trouble cycling my tank.. the ammonia is now between 2 - 3 (darkish green) I use the api master test kit. I do water changes every second day and I remove uneaten waste from the tank as soon as my axolotls finish eating :/ the nitrate and nitrite is at 0 and the ph is 7.6.. I have had this tank running for 4 weeks now, it's one of the blueplanet classic 50 litre tank.. could it be the filter? ? I got my axolotl for free cause she was sick and underweight and the poor thing isn't getting better and I think it's cause of the water parameters :( she isn't eating well and she is floating kinda..

2ehy5ude.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

pookiewn

Reaction score
Firstly take the axies out of the tank and put them into their own tub with cool dechlorinated water, now please!
Keep them in a cool place and put a towel or something over the top to keep them in the dark. Make sure you do a 100% daily water change in their tubs and scrub them every other day. Its best to keep them in the tubs until your tank has finished cycling.
If you have only had this tank for four weeks it is still going through the cycling process, have a read of the cycling sticky so you understand it fully. A 50 litre tank is rather small for one axie, let alone two. They are messy creatures and the filter in that tank will not be designed to handle the amount of waste that they produce.
What are you feeding your axies and how often? If you are not already, try feeding her some nice wriggly worms :)
Keep us updated as to how they are doing please :)

snuggly time

Reaction score
I would remove the axolotls for now. That ammonia is too toxic for them. You can keep them in a small tub with fresh dechlorinated water and they will be fine if you change the water once a day or if they poop in it.

It might be best to do a fishless cycle which will be quicker than cycling with the axie in the tank.

tayo1991

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful advice guys! I know this might sound stupid but where do I get dechlorinated water from?? I feed one of my axolotls once a day cause she is way underweight, I feed them earthworms :)

Quentari

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful advice guys! I know this might sound stupid but where do I get dechlorinated water from?? I feed one of my axolotls once a day cause she is way underweight, I feed them earthworms :)

You get a dechlorinator from your local pet store (or online, if it's easier) and follow the instructions (mine's one drop per gallon).

If you're trying to fatten her up maybe go for twice a day? earthworms are a good choice :) just do the tub thing other's have suggested and maybe go with daily water changes until the ammonia is back under control.

tayo1991

Reaction score
I have water ager? It removes chlorine from the water making it safe for the fish, is that right?

Okay I'll feed Dory twice a day :) how many worms should I give her?

snuggly time

Reaction score
I have water ager? It removes chlorine from the water making it safe for the fish, is that right?

Okay I'll feed Dory twice a day :) how many worms should I give her?

Yeah dechlrinator is fine as long as it removes chlorine and chloramine.

I'd give your axie two worms a day, you might have to cut them into smaller pieces so she can eat them. Once she starts fattening up you can drop it down to one worm a day. Ideal weight is when the axies belly is the same width as their head. :happy:

shazza

Reaction score
yes, just make sure u measure it accurately. I use the API brand even with all my water changes and i have 2 tanks its lasts a long time. U could try giving her 2 to 3 worms depending on the size of them.. Depending on ur tank temp as to how u feed her. I keep mine (with a chiller) at 21deg, ithigh for most people here, i now feed mine 3 worms (2 if i find some big ones) everyday. But the warmer tank temp he degests the food quicker.

If finances and space alowed u should look at a bigger tank. The load on 2 decent sized axies in that small tank would be knocking ur paramaters around.. I had bought a similar sized tank for the bench for the kids to have their own pet fish. I only had tetras in there and had trouble with it loosing the fish. So having an axie in such a small tank would take some work.

Best of luck mate hope u work it all out.

tayo1991

Reaction score
Yeah I fed Dory 2 fat juicy worms yesterday, I cut the wormd up into 4 pieces and gave it to her with tweezers :) I do hate cutting the worms up though, it's not pleasant haha. Dory is definitely underweight then.. looking at Dory and my other axolotl there is a huge difference in weight size.. Dorys stomach doesn't even touch the ground. I got Dory for free from a aquarium store and the owner of the store said she doesn't eat and he doesn't have the time to look after her and that's why I took her cause I felt sorry for it, she has been at the store for ages as well cause no one wanted to buy a underweight axolotl. I'm glad I got Dory cause she deserves to have a happy healthy life and that's what im trying to give her, she has been a lot more active since I got her a friend :)

Yeah I use the API test kit as well its great, I record the results daily and the water is up and down atm, really is a huge pain. I have a plastic 60 litre tub outside that I could use for the 2, how much water do I need to put in? Do I need to put gravel or anything like that in the tub?? I will definitely be putting the eirator in with the axolotls. I will be upgrading to a 3 foot when I can afford one, the 50 litre isn't to bad, its more length then width if that makes sense but yes I will be upgrading eventually :)

shazza

Reaction score
I have slate pieces, but mainly bare floor so much easier to clean. U would need to do a daily change of water there. Keep ur water as cool as u can. I got my tank specially made its built for floor space not height. Only cost me $70 with 10mm glass. My axie couldnt float to save himself i am sure, so just cruises on the bottom. Personally i would take those pebbles out. and if u could get a second hide so they are not competin for hides?

Best of luck with ur cycle in ur main tank. And top marks for putting in an effort.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1