Is steel epoxy safe?

pondweed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm on the scout for secondhand aquariums, and I've found one which the seller tells me their local aquarium shop sured up a chip in the base with steel epoxy. And freshly resealed the edges.

Is steel epoxy safe for amphibians/axolotls? I know to look out for aquarium safe silicon, but I've not heard anyone mention this, and I know there are heaps of metals/minerals that might be damaging, so...

Oh gosh. You go looking for secondhand tanks and then THREE come along at once.

And one of them belongs to the father of an old school friend on mine, and I can get to see it really easily. So I mayjustgowiththat. Just waiting to hear back from her about price, etc.

Edit: Gonna ask another Really Dumb Question while I'm at it (dumb since people use terracotta pots for hides), but what do people think of terracotta tiles, either sealed down with aquarium silicone (something I wouldn't have an issue with in a secondhand tank) or routinely lifted out to be cleaned beneath? Seems to me it lacks the impaction issues, but would still provide 'Lotl feet with something to grip.

Also, terracotta's got to be one of my favourite colours... (And if I have any plants that need substrate, they'd be in terracotta pots, and I've been asking my Dad if we know anyone with the power tools Lingkong uses to make her hides. I want to remove the bottom ends so there's an in-out option so no-one can be cornered!

Terra cotta tiles would be fine.

I'm not sure about steel epoxy. Are you sure the chip isn't on the outside or on the edge?

That tool is called a Dremel. I bought mine for $20ish. But I live in the states. I'm sure you can find one though : )

Cheers Kaysie! I wasn't sure whether it was inside/outside, the listing just states base.

It's turned out it's a non-issue anyway. My friend's Dad has a couple of old tanks, and he was happy to give me one because he's trying to clear stuff. So I scored a tank! It needs a bit of a scrub and I'll check it's watertight, and perhaps get it resealed... It has a filter that I need to take a look at (it came with a fluval 3 that's lacking a canister, and another one.) It also has a light, but again, I'd need to check the bulb and probably replace it a softer one and get low light tolerant plants... or else get a new lid/drip tray and use my basic clip-on LED instead.

This is all veryexciting because it's actuallyhappening. And I've got more than a month now to start working on the tank before I get the Axolotl(s).

Thank you too, Hairypumpkin. I'd forgotten the name! We have another friend whose more than likely to own one (he does wood turning and is generally Handy), and it'd be fun to cut up and sand plant pots with him.

Dremels are great. Wear eye protection!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back