Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What makes an axie jump?

Sir Kippy

Reaction score
I just got woken by my axie trying to jump out of the tank! He can't because the water level is a decent size lower than the edge of the tank. I have been reading about some people who have had theirs jump out. Why do they do it?
My water tests have come out fine and he has eaten his wormies today, his tail isn't bent and his gills aren't forward. Do some axies just randomly jump?

Martin21114

Reaction score
Glad to hear you didn't have a bigger problem. I had one jump out and fall 4 feet to splat on some rough unfinished concrete (she's fine now after a gruesome injury, thank God :D). I don't think it's anything that makes them jump. I think when they get startled or are just feeling spunky they turbo off in a random direction and don't realize they were pointed at/that close to the surface, like a bottle rocket with no stick

Sir Kippy

Reaction score
Oh good! I couldn't find any explanation as to why it happened :) I might look at getting him a lid then

Quentari

Reaction score
Mine started doing that and died of a fungus a few days later (I didn't notice it in time growing over his white patches). Take a quick check that he's not fuzzy anywhere, and if he's fine it's probably just a quirk

shazza

Reaction score
mine has trouble swimming to the top to get his worms. He has one go then sits on the bottom with a pathetic look.. i am still thinking of a lid though. Try get a hard plastic mesh or something....

Sir Kippy

Reaction score
Mine started doing that and died of a fungus a few days later (I didn't notice it in time growing over his white patches). Take a quick check that he's not fuzzy anywhere, and if he's fine it's probably just a quirk
he has some small shiny white spots but they aren't fuzzy but bright and shiny. He is a Wild type and I heard this was normal? He hasn't jumped since and there are only a few ones on the tail

Petersgirl

Reaction score
That sounds to me like iridophores. My wildie is covered in them. Can we see a photo if at all possible to be sure, though?

Sir Kippy

Reaction score
there are just the ones on his tail. I hope this picture is helpful

Attachments

• IMG_1722.jpg
    IMG_1722.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 132

Quentari

Reaction score
Yeah don't worry that just looks like those shiny spots that I can't spell or pronounce the name of :)

Sir Kippy

Reaction score
Oh yay that is great to hear!! I was getting worried :) So we think he just got startled? He hasn't done it since. Actually he hasn't done anything but eat with a sense of urgency :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!