Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Would like genuine critique of set up!

tigmades

Reaction score
Tank size: 60"x15"x15", water filled up to 10-12" because of limits set by father.
Axolotls: 6x 6-6.5" axies and 7x 4.2-5" axies
Filtration: 2x 50g sponge filters, 1x aquatech 30-60 (incapable of full flow, so only likely filters enough for 30g tank)
Water changes: 2-4x a week, 20-50% as I notice the sponge filters don't do a good job picking up stuff, as well as spot cleaning with a baster.
Feeding: 1-2 worms each axie, 5-6 days of the week (I have guppies and shrimp however haven't feed them as treats in ages).

Some of the smaller axies won't be staying, but are in there while they wait to be rehomed. I know keeping 10.. possibly 11 <ack! I fell in love with too many!> in there is pushing it, but the way I see it is if I can keep water clean, they all have a large footprint to walk, and they don't pick on one another then they're happy so I'm happy?

a) Should I up the filtration... get an AC110 perhaps and distort the flow, to replace the sad aquatech? I would like something that is better able to suck up debris.

b) I want to make nicer hides than the cool whip container and undecorated other cut plastic bin, as well as add more hides but there's a limit to foot walking space, so I was thinking of suspending some hides like a hollowed log? My guys seem to prefer being out in the open even with my seemingly bright lights.

c) I saw in another thread suction-cup plastic shelving. I'd like to use this to grow plants out of the water, hopefully to help deal with nitrates. Does anyone have any particular plants to suggest? I was thinking pathos, and just recently mangrove plantlets became available. Would have to be low light as my room does not get direct sunlight at all (north facing).

I just want my babies to be happy and healthy, and they're definitely well loved! ^_^

Attachments

• IMG_2209.jpg
    IMG_2209.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_2224.jpg
    IMG_2224.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 206

Quentari

Reaction score
You'll have to keep a closer eye on the water parameters, but I don't see why you couldn't make it work :)

10fenny

Reaction score
i like the black sand. that must have been cheap.. hehe. not a huge fan of the fake plants and cool whip. but to each their own. i would up the filtration. that way if you get food lodged somewhere out of sight that eco load will have a better chance of handling it. i run a fluvel fx5 on my 75 gal. big ol' peice of driftwood surounded by live plants.. looks great

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!