Lighting in tank

Fatboyisthebest

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Where my axolotls are, they get very poor lighting on half of the tank but as i have a split tank, this means my two younger axie's have barely any light at all. Therefore i just want a light that can be on one side, like a desk lamp but a fish one! I do not have a lid for their tank, it is 4ft though so is a decent size. Any help would be appriciated!:p

Axies generally prefer little to no light so I wouldn't worry about it too much

They don't need a light, but you might want to have a lid, i only say this because i read this
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...discussion/91509-what-makes-axolotl-jump.html
Also, don't be keeping light on them all the time, it's not good for them. I only turn the light on when i wanna look at them, take pictures, or am feeding them.

I only want a light for the tank because of the plants, and it would only be on for a little part of the day on the blue light... half of my tank is very dark so two of my axolotls on that side dont get much light (I have a split tank)

depends on the axie too. i have my timer for my lights at about 12/12. i have lots of plants/dark areas/ and hiding. i have two axies in my 75 gal. one only really comes out for food. the other one dances in the brightest part all day

remember... axols are people too. hehe. they are all different

In my experience with my axolotl tanks - I have a 6'ft & a 4'ft both with lots of hides & lots of plants & the plants need lighting. I run my lights for at least 8-12hrs (adjusting seasonally) and I have found that as long as they can escape the light if they want to, they actually do swim about during the day & will seek out the highest plants in the tank to bask in the light. I wasn't expecting them to be active during the day but the majority do venture out and explore the plants quite a bit during the daytime hours - they don't freak out when I turn the lights on as I open the blinds & flood the room with natural light an hour before lights go on :)

<3 >o_o< <3

same here... by the time the light flicks on the tank is pretty lit up naturally anyways. so they dont get the shock, as im running some fairly bright LED's

perfect example... big ol' black bertha says:"hi hi hi hi hi... food? what are you doing" lil white ernie "if you dont have food leave me alone!"

Attachments

• IMG_1811.jpg
    IMG_1811.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 257
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back