Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axl not eating...sick?

Deezoo

Reaction score
:( Hi My Axl is 1 year old. 10 gallon tank, by himself, no substrate, sponge filter, hide area. Has not eaten in 10 days. His eating has slowed down in past month. Used to eat every day, then every other day or so. Was eating 1/3 earthworm daily or every other day before or occasional salmon pellets. Ph is 7.6, Nitrite 0, nitrate .5, amonia ~0- .25. temp 66- 68F last few days because temp has increased outside. His is in my basement( coolest room in thehouse) There is a small "nick" in his tail tip also (?) The temp was cooler the last few months. Around 60 F. Could the increase be a problem? I do partial water changes 1 - 2 times a week. When he was younger, he would grab the worm b4 it hit the bottom. Never does that now. He is "scared" of everything now, even food. Anything I can do to help him?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The temperature is fine; an increase from 60 to 68F shouldn't be a problem. Any idea how the nick in his tail happened? Everything you describe seems fine, and there aren't any other symptoms, so it's hard to come up with any ideas. You could try doing some extra-large water changes, just in case something has built up that you aren't measuring.

Deezoo

Reaction score
Thanks for answering. He may have eaten yesterday. I didn't witness it,but I can't find a worm in the tank either. I sometimes do ~50 % water change, so not sure if that will help, but it is a thought. Only thing I can think of about the tail nick is that he hit it on something one of the times he got scared and thrashed around the tank. I never see him try to bite his own tail. I will continue to moniter him and hope for the best.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!