Do you have to break an axolotl in when switching to earthworm? Audrey threw them up. :/

karipatra

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, since Seymour, my newbie, is used to eating earthworms, I bought some the other day, and decided to try Audrey on them, since better for her than frozen bloodworms and less messy as well. ;)

She ate one yesterday, then 2 today, the second one 1 hour ago. When I went back in to check on everyone, she had thrown ALL of them up, even the one from yesterday. :(

Was she just too full or do I need to give her smaller pieces of worm sporadically to build her up to digesting them?:confused:

I would just give one small chunk to start then watch. You can slowly switch over the food to ensure her tummy accepts it :)

Yeah my two wildtypes threw up their earthworms too ,they had their first taste of earthworm yesterday :'D and they where tiny chunks yet oddly the luecistic kin just gobbles them up no bother lol ,I think it may just take a while to get used to so keep offering little bits of earthworm and count how many it eats and how many it throws up but also feed a little bit of bloodworm too so it gets some food it's used to (; or at least that's my plan , good luck ~

It takes a little time for their digestive system to adjust.

Also, if you over-feed, they'll throw them up.

Gave her a teeny tiny worm yesterday with a few pellets, then a teeny tiny worm this evening. That's all she gets for now. We'll see how she does. I think it was a matter of eyes bigger than her stomach, with a richer diet. ;)

Thanks for all the help everyone! have a great rest of the weekend! :D

How is she going now? Is everything still going smoothly? :)

I was having the same problem with my baby, where she'd just spit them back out.
I think I figured out why. In the beginning I was taking the worms out of my worm farm, washing them and then leaving them in a sealed container for up to half an hour while I preped my other pets' food. I think in this time period they might have been letting out some kind of bad taste that my axie didn't like because the worms were stressed.
The problem stopped when I immediately fed the worms to her after washing the dirt off them. It might not be the case, but it seems to have worked.

She's doing great! I think it was the old "eyes bigger than her stomach" happening then. She has grown tremendously since being in her tank, and is a big happy girl! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back