Illness/Sickness: HELP! Baby axolotl (roughly 15 days old)

Fatboyisthebest

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya I have a baby axolotl that my pair laid, so far out of the 8 that I found 1 didnt hatch and 6 died of unknown causes... so I only have one left. They had a water change daily, they have plenty of food (BBS and Daphnia) and has a marimo moss ball and some other plants that float on the top and a little shelter for him...

The thing that is worrying me is that although I'm putting in the food I haven't noticed him eating, which is concerning as when I put some food in the other day he was.

Now his tail is starting to bend but is still moving, but not as he use to

Please help I'm concerned for little dude!:confused:

If you have live daphnia, I would recommend skipping the BBS. The BBS die, and even with water changes, they can stick to the inside of the tank and become a decay problem.

If food is always in there, it's rare to see them eat. If you look closely at the abdomen you should be able to tell if they eating.

If you have live daphnia, I would recommend skipping the BBS. The BBS die, and even with water changes, they can stick to the inside of the tank and become a decay problem.

If food is always in there, it's rare to see them eat. If you look closely at the abdomen you should be able to tell if they eating.

Sadly when I arrived home from work, little dude was dead :(

I just read this...sorry to hear of your loss.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back