Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Live earhworms

xMissyDx

Reaction score
Hi all :)
So iv decided to start using live food, aka earthworms, so i can hand feed my axie. I read that they have to be the right size. My axie is about 5"s, so what sort of size would be appropriate? The ones i just got out of my front garden are quite big so i snipped one in half. I felt awful tho because it was writhing!!! Do they feel pain? How do u get over it? Or am i just soft? Lol. When snipped though, a load of gunk and slime came out. Is this safe for the axie? Not poisenous or anything? Obvs i would wash under water to get rid of the soil n stuff. All advice, as always, is muchly appriciated :) none of my local petshops know much about them, so i trust you guys a hell of a lot more than them!! Thanks :) x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

knyptozoologist

Reaction score
I'm actually wondering the same thing about size. I bought worms from the LPS that are intended as angle worms (Canadian Nightcrawlers and something labeled just as Angle Worms) and they were various sizes. I believe I've been feeding the Angle Worms which looked smaller when I put them in the bin, but I've noticed that when I stick them in water to clean them they'll stretch to about five times the original length. Either way, my axie doesn't seem to be having any problems getting them down, but I could see not wanting to choke a younger one with worms that are much too large.

I think my assumption would be...try to cut them in pieces that aren't too much wider than your axie's head BEFORE the worm stretches out, but that's more what I've been going by with mine since I'm not exactly sure myself.

xMissyDx

Reaction score
I think thats a good way to look at it. Although, the worm i ended up giving him, i didnt chop it, and it was quite big. Not quite as big as him stretched, and he went for it almost straight away. It took him a while to eat it, and he just kept hold of it foe about 5 mins before polishing it off :) im going to go get some from lps, but will try getting smaller ones for now. Those were what i found in my garden :) x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1