Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water Depth vs. Surface Air Exchange vs. Base Area

ReptileGirl

Reaction score
So I've been doing a lot of reading about tank set ups for Axolotls and I'm anxious to get one actually set up. The Axolotl size is about 6.5 inches/165.1mm.The tank that I want to use is a hexagonal tank with 166inches/4216.4mm of area on the bottom. It's also a 20gallon/75.7liter tank. I'm interested in using this tank because it's the only one I have with a REALLY secure lid and also it's easy to keep the temperature stable through out the tank. I'm getting oxygenating plants and looking into several filters (some that are recommended here and some that I already have for the reptiles). I looked online to see what people thought about using hexagonal tanks and some people said that they are perfect and others said that they are the worst idea ever, so I don't really know what to do. I also looked through past threads, but the info wasn't quite what I'm looking for and I want to be sure. Given his/her current circumstances I would like to have a new tank set up and cycled as soon as possible. Thanks!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So 166 square inches is the equivalent base area of about 12x13 inches. The smallest tank size generally recommended for a single adult axolotl is a 10-gallon, which is 200 sq. in. (10x20). I would say that it is certainly possible to keep one axolotl in that tank, but I'd upgrade if possible. The proportions of the tank aren't ideal; too much depth, which you don't really need.

You mention a secure lid... axolotls don't really need a very secure lid, just one that they can't jump out of. Unlike newts, you can jury-rig a fairly flimsy lid that will be fine for an axolotl.

You also mention surface air exchange. Depending on the type of filter, you may not need to worry about that. A waterfall filter, for example, will take care of that for you.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Jennifer is right. Foot print is the most important part of figuring the size of an axolotl tank. A 20 gallon extra high is basically the same useful space as a 10 gallon. A high hex tank has a lot of wasted space.

One way to use some of this wasted space is to have drift wood or some substantial ornaments that go from the bottom to high in the water column. In this way you are kind of expanding the amount of bottom space.

Many people cover their axolotl tanks. I have hundreds of axolotls and never cover the tanks.

ReptileGirl

Reaction score
Thank you both, I'm so glad someone replied! For the meantime I think I will try the driftwood + hexagon tank combination and see if that works, at least until I can get a larger flat tank cycled and set up. I was looking through the tank gallery and I've been taking notes - so many nice tanks! You both gave me great info that was totally what I've been looking for!:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!