River shrimp are FUN!

auntiejude

Reaction score
Country
England
I found a LFS a few miles away that stocks river shrimp for live food, so I took a chance and grabbed a couple of dozen.
My axies swam round chasing the little blighters for hours :D! They are big enough and quick enough to get away from all but the most determined axolotl, so it took several attemps to catch them. It was actually more fun to watch than the TV......;)
I'll definately be getting some more next time I'm passing - has anyone else tried them?

What they look like? I have what they call ghost shrimp here in the states. They are see throw.

Yeah, ghost or glass shrimp - same things as river shrimp.

I had a few in my tank before I had my axolotl. When I put in the axie she immediately ate the fish I had in there, but the shrimp seem to be her buddies and she just ignores them :D

I guess it depends on the size of the axies and the shrimp - an axie less than 6" wouldn't be able to get an adult one in it's mouth.

I'd really like to get some some time (and quarantine them, of course!) and give them as a treat. I love watching animal behaviour.

( The shrimp/prawns you find in rockpools are beastly little characters. When my friend and I went rockpooling, the shimp started beating up on the small hermit crab! Or perhaps they were just sitting on it. We put them back quickly.

...Shore Crabs are just obstinate. )

I've fed river shrimp to my axies. The adults eat them very quickly as soon as I put them in. I tried putting in a dozen thinking they might stay in there a while. The 2 adults gorged themselves eating them all within an hour or two... then later threw up - nice :rolleyes:
I have even put tiny river shrimp in with my 3" juvies ... they snapped them up. Successful, entertaining feeding experience for all :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back