Need answer fast

salamandergod

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just recently my axolotl babies that are five weeks old have become very sick. When I try to do water changes they all of a sudden crash and float around upside down or sideways. They won't eat and even when I put them back in their old water they just sit there and look like they are dead. There are two out of the seven that still move but just barely and it's not even close to what they look like when they use to swim. The remaining five sit at the bottom upside down not moving and me hoping they are not dead. What do I do? Please help.

You are stressing them more then they need to be. First you need to age some dechlorinator, not aging it can cause them to swallow air bubbles or so ive read. So theh would float.

They need fresh clean water asap. It needs to be room temperature water so waiting a few minutes isnt enough! This is very important.

You putting them back to the old water so much is not helpin one bit. Clean fresh dechlorinated room temp water is your best bet, till you can get them to feel better. 100% water change per day at least. Try putting their tub on a floor or something to make the water a little cooler for them too.

I am not 100% sure but i am pretty confident to say there is a water quality issue. Have you ever tested the water?

Lets pray for the best anyways. I hope they make it through. I experienced that once and i thought they were suffocating after the water change so i put an airstone in the tub and it helped? But i did it for only a couple of days

What is your source water? Tap water? Floating upside down is almost always a sign that they're not getting enough food.

My source of water is from the sink upstairs in our house. It's not tap water and I have never had a problem with my fish or these axolotls before. Two of my axolotls are now hunchbacked and they don't want to swim. They sit half side ways on the edges of the container they are in and they are alive because I can see their heart beating. There are two that are recovering the best. One is a floater and the other sits on the bottom. They all look awkward when I feed them and they try to eat. If any of you have any knowledge or comments about this please share the info.

I feel like I must be overlooking something here, and I apologize if that's the case, I'm confused. You're getting water from a sink...if it's not tap water, what kind of water is it? And you don't use a dechlorinator, is that correct? That seems odd to me, but my water definitely has chloramines and chlorine so I use a dechlorinator. Maybe your water is different.

On the off-chance it is a food issue, what are you feeding the little guys and how often?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back