Slow eater

Luna

Reaction score
Country
Australia
My axolotl takes forever to eat her food, and i feed her with tweezers so there is no reason for her not to find it. She takes small bites and then she will get a grip of the food and swallow it (takes 15 minutes). I'm worried because she is a little bit on the skinny side and my other one is perfect weight. I'm also annoyed because it takes me forever to feed her and i dont have the time to stand there for 15 minutes when i have finals this week.
Should I change her food (i feed them frozen bloodworms and prawns) or is it something more serious?

Hi Luna!

I Don't think anything is wrong, don't stress! all of my axolotls are different eaters. Like people, everyone has that annoying friend who takes forever to finish a meal!

I have a picky one too who is much skinnier because he takes so long to eat, and often spits out his food. He is in competition with my other fatty ding dongs axies so he often gets out-eaten. The picky ones just take a little bit of extra care.

They also all have different tastes and prefer different foods. All of mine love worms! You could give them a try, they are the recommended diet. My skinny boy doesn't seem as keen on them as the others, so i mix up his diet a little more just to get food in him. It might be some trial and error to see what he likes the most. Defiantly try worms as a staple. Big fat garden worms. They don't seem to like the little red ones as much.

good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back