Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl.. isn't an axolotl.

jjdickinson

Reaction score
Hey there guys. About two weeks ago I ended up buying a young- too young, I was informed recently- little creature that we thought was an axolotl. To put it short, it ended up being a scam. We were so worried he was dying when actually he was going through metamorphosis. Today we found out that little Smitty is actually some type of newt or salamander; he's too tiny and young right now for anyone we spoke with to determine exactly what kind he is, however.

Anyway, I changed his tank to half land and got him some new food, but I need to know if there's anything more I need to do. I don't know what to look up because I don't know what he is, and I'm not sure if that will effect his living conditions or not. I hope he survives and also starts eating again soon, I've been working nonstop to try helping this little fella! If anyone could help me with safe temperatures and all of that, I'd be really grateful! Thanks!

jjdickinson

Reaction score
Alrighty! Here, I tried to get a picture of the little guy in his tank.

tank_zpsc66262cc.png

I then got this one when he crawled on my finger {the flash freaked him out though! :c }

finger_zpsdba033ae.png

Traxolotl

Reaction score
Put it in a small tub on wet paper towels and keep it cool. maybe add a bit of moss and keep it like this till it gets a bit bigger. Feed it blackworms or whiteworms, Chopped earthworms would be good too. It hard to get them to eat sometimes unless the foods wiggling in their faces.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Here's a care sheet for tiger salamanders; care for all terrestrial ambystomatids is basically the same.

These guys make great captives. They're hardy and outgoing.

jjdickinson

Reaction score
Thank you as well!

Can I please get help again? He still won't eat. I switched to tiny crickets but he still doesn't seem to want to even try a taste, and I don't know what to do. He hasn't eaten in a few days and I'm very concerned for him..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!