Question: About Melafix...is it safe?

SalamanderMommy

Reaction score
Country
Wales
Hi all, I am asking about Melafix. Is it safe to use in the axolotl aquarium?? I had to move their aquarium a short while ago (to a cooler location) and when bagging them I touched my Pinky a bit more than I would have liked. He didn't want to go in the bag, and had gotten too fat to fit in the net. As a precaution to help stave off any bacterial infection from unwanted people contact.... would Melafix be a good and safe thing to use? :confused:

Melafix traditionally splits opinion there are several threads on this.

I don't think it is necessary to do anything to your Axolotls just because you have had to touch them. Just monitor them for signs of fungus (looks like cotton wool) although it is highly unlikely that you touching them will have done them much harm, these are creatures that can regrow almost anything from the neck down so I'm sure they can cope with a bit of prodding!

If you see any fungus then just do salts baths - see the sticky at the top of the sick axolotl forum for instructions.

Phewww, tis a relief to hear he should be just fine. LOL slippery lil buggy he was too. I will watch closely for any fungal looking stuff. In the meantime I will read up on the salt bath treatment. Thanks so much!!

I'm sure he'll be fine.

I've had to handle mine in the past (two hands!) and i've never noticed any problems from it

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back