7-8 weeks old, keep in pairs or seperate completely?

racheljritchie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Rach
Hi my babies are 7-8 weeks old and have tiny little legs now. they have been living seperate for aprox 2-3 weeks. at what age can i put them back together? i am keeping one to go in with my adults (eventually.... not as a snack!) but i was wondering as i am currently trying to sell some and if i sell as pair should i advise the buyer to keep them seperate? i dont want to sell them and for them to eat each other:eek: a

at what age is it best to pair them back up?

If people buy them as a pair, and they're about equivalent sizes, surely they wouldn't be able to eat one another?

They might nip a limb off, but that could happen at any age! (Well. After they've developed limbs, that is. Larvae without limbs yet wouldn't have limbs to bite!)

Are you wanting to pair them back up as breeding pairs?
Keep in mind they are siblings & shouldn't be bred together.

I keep my little ones well fed with lots of hides in a 2.5'ft tank together once they're over 3"inches with a limbs developed & haven't had any issues with nipping limbs.. :eek: (touch wood)

<3 >o_o< <3

If people buy them as a pair, and they're about equivalent sizes, surely they wouldn't be able to eat one another?

They might nip a limb off, but that could happen at any age! (Well. After they've developed limbs, that is. Larvae without limbs yet wouldn't have limbs to bite!)

yes i didnt mean completely eat each other, i meant a leg etc, but i have read that they go through a stage when young where they are more likely to be cannabalistic?

Are you wanting to pair them back up as breeding pairs?
Keep in mind they are siblings & shouldn't be bred together.

I keep my little ones well fed with lots of hides in a 2.5'ft tank together once they're over 3"inches with a limbs developed & haven't had any issues with nipping limbs.. :eek: (touch wood)

<3 >o_o< <3

Well they are non sexed yet so not as breeding pairs, someone wants to buy two from me i am not wanting to breed them.

well i never seperated my axie babies. and i had about 300 in 7 different containers. i never saw one missing limb or gill. i kept them very well fed and water quality clean.

Mine (that are the same age as yours Rach) are in groups of between 6 or 8 per tub according to their size, there's been no nips at all (touch wood). My older juvies are now around 4" long, they have always been kept in groups and there's only been one noticeable nip. I agree with what's already been said....keep them well fed & they should be fine ;)

thanks everyone!!

Its bizarre all i have read about them have said they go through a stage at which point they tend to munch each other... obviously never having them at this age before i have had no experience so just believed what i had read :rolleyes:

ok well i feel beter now and i think i will put them back into pairs (thus halfing my cleaning of tubs!!):D

No way I could clean enough tubs to separate all mine, or have enough space to put them all :D

well here they are i a large tub living in harmony!! :happy:

Attachments

• 2222.jpg
    2222.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,277
How big is that tub?

Looks a bit small to me

Mel

im not sure of measurements but that is ony the end of the tub...they are in 3ltrs of water (it prob holds 4.5-5ltrs)

Can you post a full picture?

I don't want you to end up having nipping incidents after having kept them separate for so long.

Mel

Unfortunately for me i am at work :rolleyes:
Using my ruler and my things at hand e.g mousemat diary etc i would guesstimate it is aprox 25 x 45 cm

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back