Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Vacation question

rainrad2013

Reaction score
I have 8 juvie axolotls that I raised from eggs, they are currently between 2.5 and 3 inches long. Strangely one of them is really big compared to the others, obviously the piggie of the group! : )

We are going on a 1 week cruise in August, what is the best food to put in their tank while we are gone? I'll have someone coming once or twice during the week to look after our other critters, so they can put someting in there for us but concerned about creating too much of a mess in the water as it won't be siphoned off while we are gone. They'll have a small external filter running, was thinking maybe bunches of daphnia?

What do you guys do when you are away for a little while?

Minniechild

Reaction score
If you know they'll eat the daphnia, go for it. Might be an idea to check that the daphnia will survive your filter early on, and also perhaps have some blackworms as a backup.
Bon Voyage!

FX1C

Reaction score
Live black worms are great to leave in a feeding jar as they don't foul the water.

Just make sure to put any hides on something like a chopstick so the worms don't just hide under the hide :)
(I use chopped up chopsticks because they're cheap & handy plastic sticks ;) )

Will they be in a cycled tank by then?
Or in tubs - asking the person to change some water would be good. You could leave pre dechlorinated water in a lidded bucket (painters pail) and they could just take water from the surface - tell them how many Litres you want out (that way they won't have to use the siphon.) you could also stick in an extra sponge filter to help with the bioload.

Hope that helps - let us know how the cruise goes... Bon Voyage :D

<3 >o_o< <3

rainrad2013

Reaction score
Great ideas, thanks!!

I guess I could put a stocking over the filter intake for the daphnia, I'll need to figure out where to get some blackworms locally, they are really expensive online it seems. They will definitely be in a cycled tank, getting that ready over the next few days.

How does the feeding jar work? Do you lay it on it's side?

My daughter thinks the axies look like aquatic frillnecked dragons. : )

Last edited:

FX1C

Reaction score
Most good fish shops get live blackworms in once a week :)

Ring around to save driving & ask
them what day they come in & get them to put a shot or two away for you.

I've been ordering the blackworms online in 1kg lots & they require daily rinsing & live in the fridge. Once in the tanks though they are brilliant & stay alive until eaten.

<3 >o_o< <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!