Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

This is How It Starts.....

knyptozoologist

Reaction score
A picture is worth a thousand words :p

0606131038.jpg

Tea Addict

Reaction score
Is that a hand on the side fan? How well does it work? I've been debating which fan to get for summer...
Also I totally agree! I really want another tank but I have neither the funds or the space :-(

mackinthebox

Reaction score
very nice set up :)

I recently built my own chiller for my 20 long
if youve got a 20 gallon or less thank this should work for you

I used 2 heatsinks from old computers and a peltier cooler from ebay
I sandwhiched the cooler between the two hetsinks and zip tied them together
I then just sat the cold and smaller heatsink in the outflow part of my HOB (hang on back) filter
it has dropped my tank temp from 74F (23C) to 66F(19C)!!
all in all i spent about 50 bucks on everything
shoot me a PM if you want more info, I can send some links on what to get off ebay :)

knyptozoologist

Reaction score
Tash: It's a Zoomed Aquarium Fan. I bought it on ebay for about $30 US, but I found another pet supplier website that sells it for cheaper (drsfosterandsmith.com not sure if they ship outside the US, though). I have really high humidity so it only dropped the tank 2-4 degrees F, but I'm ordering a second one and have heard good things about temp drops of more like 5-10 degrees in less humid areas.

Mack: Assuming that was aimed at Tash, either way, I saw the posts about it.....some of the things people come up with for cooling are just so amazing, makes me wish I'd held on to the HOB filters I'd been given with the tank.

Sylerwin

Reaction score
"Oh, I'll just get one little tank, no big deal."
3 months later
"I want a new tank, but nowhere to fit it because of my other 3 tanks..."

BramJ

Reaction score
I really hope it doesn't go like that for me... Doubling tank size in a few months...

ps. This is the tank I just got... my first tank... :p

knyptozoologist

Reaction score
I feel like I should have held onto the 30 gallon I originally started with, but oh well. The 10-gallon is supposed to just be a temporary tank so my second one (which I haven't gotten yet) can catch up in size to my first, but....yeah, we'll see how that goes ;)

Tea Addict

Reaction score
Tash: It's a Zoomed Aquarium Fan. I bought it on ebay for about $30 US, but I found another pet supplier website that sells it for cheaper (drsfosterandsmith.com not sure if they ship outside the US, though). I have really high humidity so it only dropped the tank 2-4 degrees F, but I'm ordering a second one and have heard good things about temp drops of more like 5-10 degrees in less humid areas.

Mack: Assuming that was aimed at Tash, either way, I saw the posts about it.....some of the things people come up with for cooling are just so amazing, makes me wish I'd held on to the HOB filters I'd been given with the tank.

Thanks :) I only need the temp to drop a few degrees on warmer days because normally its alright. I'm trying to get one in the uk because of shipping costs, gonna pm Mack but def get a fan for the meantime! England has actually been sunny for the last few days...

shazza

Reaction score
I really hope it doesn't go like that for me... Doubling tank size in a few months...

ps. This is the tank I just got... my first tank... :p

Haha i had 2, 5 ft tanks and a 2ft with fish in it when i met my hubby. after one of my 5fters burst when my large oscars were playing tag, i scaled down to one 5ft. Kids came i sold that tank.. Refused to get anymore...

Hubby wanted to get a small tank of guppies for kids again. After a year of nagging i said yes.

We now have a custom built axie tank (built for floor space its only 250mm high) and a 3ft which due to the growing population in my community tank is going to a 4 to 5 ft.

hubby must now be regreting rekindling my love of aquatic animals ;)

snuggly time

Reaction score
I started with a 2ft tank which started to look small for my axie, so I filled it with fish and got him a 3ft tank. Now he's starting to get bigger I want a bigger tank. If I get another tank I know I'll get another axolotl, which I don't have space for. Might as well just fill my bedroom up with water ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1