Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New member - Goal is to get kids interested in science early

K3teach

Reaction score
I'm a Kindergarten teacher from Oklahoma and have learned that the absolute best way to get kids interested in science is to have live animals in my classroom. I currently have an albino leopard gecko (Rose) and a hermit crab (cheetah) and am interested in getting a couple of Axolotls so I'm using this forum to get a lot of info on Axi's so that I can be successful at keeping them. This school year, I am going to get Axi's, raise Triops, and then, in the spring, do a tadpole to frog project using a tadpole from our pond at the school so I can re-release it into its natural environment when it turns into a frog. It's going to be a busy year, but it should be fun for the kids and provide lots of opportunities for math, science and writing discussion!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1