Pleurodeles W. Breeding

troll85

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hi,
12 days ago and also 3 days ago (for the second time) I saw my one year old Pleurodeles W. during their mating. The male has a very swollen cloaca.

I would like know how much time passes before the deposition (if the mating was successfu).
Currently the belly of he female does not seem much increased for the possible prsence of eggs...so I have some doubts..
Thanks..

Impossible to answer. It might be one day, it might be weeks. If the female isn't ready, it might be next year:bowl:

....Yes...this is true!...:D I just have to wait

Another question....in the past I have reproduced Cynops orientalis...and I saw a better reproduction in groups with more males ( 3M : 2F). I saw that with the anuran is the opposite.
Perhaps this is due to the different type of fecundation between the two orders of amphibians.
Do you think that this is always present (among urodeles) or do you have good results also with groups with a prevalence of females than males??

Hi again,

my Pleurodeles ( one year old) they are mating again, again and again.... they are 1M:2F.
But if the females are "not ready", why the ritual continues every day??:confused:

Because males in breeding season will amplex indiscriminately in the hopes that they get lucky. Many amphibians are known to even amplex other species, death animals or even your hand when they are in a breeding frenzy. They just don´t care...the whole point is to not waste any potential opportunity.

Thanks... !
In fact, I saw in a book of mine a Bufo Bufo ""mating with a hand"".
So ,according to this observation, the role of the olfactory and visual cues is pretty low...:confused:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back