Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Info on black worms

net

Reaction score
If you keep black worms can you please tell me:

what temperature you keep them in??????????????????????????????????

what kind of water treated, untreated do you keep them in?

how many/much do you feed to an axolotl at a time?

I have been told a lot of conflicting information...

Neil C

Reaction score
Blackworms do best in cool water but will survive in warm water if they are healthy. If you buy them from the fridge in a pet shop do not put them straight into warm water or they will die quickly.

Also don't put them into tap water unless it's treated but you could use rainwater without treatment. It's up to you how much you feed your axolotls but if you have substrate in your tank they will quickly bury into it.

If you keep quite a few blackworm together you will have to provide aeration or they will die quite quickly.

Regards Neil

mikeg

Reaction score
I keep mine at about 65 degrees in my basement, 5 gallon tank, sugar grain sand and a light that comes on a few hours a day. For food they basically get all left overs, any pellets that are left in the tank after a hour gets thrown in as-well i also siphon any axolotl poop into the tank and they love it! They eat the pop within a day. For water changed i do not take anything out of the tank accept water and i replace it with the water from my axolotl tank. this seems to work well for me i doubled population in about 2 months.

Hope this helps:happy:

shazza

Reaction score
I keep mine at about 65 degrees in my basement, 5 gallon tank, sugar grain sand and a light that comes on a few hours a day. For food they basically get all left overs, any pellets that are left in the tank after a hour gets thrown in as-well i also siphon any axolotl poop into the tank and they love it! They eat the pop within a day. For water changed i do not take anything out of the tank accept water and i replace it with the water from my axolotl tank. this seems to work well for me i doubled population in about 2 months.

Hope this helps:happy:

ok, well that explains why i still find them round my tank months later. Ever since Nikki put me onto the worm farms i havent feed the blackworms. Was wondering what they are living off. Find them under ornaments and slate... My axie hangs round knowing he will get a tiny snack.

FX1C

Reaction score
I buy live blackworms every fortnight either 1kg or 500gms

After much trial & error & much confusing advice this is they way I've kept them with no losses.

- kept in fridge in air tight container which has a vent seal in the lid, I keep the vent open.

- rinsed daily without fail in straight tap water thoroughly.. 3 or 4 floods & rinsed, then drained really well in a net & returned to fridge with no extra water around them.

A fellow aquarium keeper has managed to breed them and said the best food was skim milk.. I haven't tried it because the ones I buy in don't last very long ;)

Once put into the tanks the live really well & stay alive for weeks. I put them into my tropical fish tanks & the clown loaches love digging for them and chasing worms in the gravel.

As for how much to feed... I keep all my lotls very well fed & put a good teaspoon if live worms in with babies of about 4" or more & make sure to stir up the worms from their hiding place under the hides / filters. I also use a baster to suck up worms & offer them to lotls - force feeding them to the point of ridiculous. I have no issues with babies in share tank biting each other as they are too busy siesta'ing after the food fests I provide :)

<3 >o_o< <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1