Plants in an axie tank?

skelly98

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So, i got some hornwort for my axie tank, along with some ghost shrimp originally intended for food, but now a cleanup crew... Anyhow, Any special lighting concerns for the hornwort? I heard it can grow anywhere, and i have a nice plant light, but how long should i leave it on for, and it is only 1/2 the power normally used for aquariums (so as not to stress the axie)... Also, i have aquatic plant fertilizer (API leaf zone).

I was wondering if the lighting was OK, and if i should add the fertilizer or not... Any opinions? I have extra bulbs and fixtures, so i can upgrade the lighting if need be.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 294
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 278
I have a few plants in one of my tank. Some axolotls rip the plants up so this is the only axie tank I have planted. I use kent plant fertilizer and it works great. As far as lights go, I just try to watch out for temp changes when they are on. I have my run 1 hour on 2 off on a timer for a total of 4 hours of light. But with Hornwort you really don't have to worry about much, it grows easily.

Lighting will be OK as long as there are a lot of shady spots for the axies to hide. In my opinion I think your tank will be good how it looks. Fertilizer will be ok I use 1/2 recommended dose and about twice a week. You can play around with the light times

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 465
depends on the axie for the light too. my big ol fat bertha loves to play in thr brightest part while the other tends to stay in the shaded areas. i run my lights 12/12. plants that are in there have been going for months. just about whatever i put in there. varoius swords and grass. red tigar lotus

Attachments

• IMG_1827.jpg
    IMG_1827.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 580
I'll keep my light on 6-8 hours, but not all at once. I'll turn it on for 3-4 hours before I leave for work, leave it off while I'm at work, turn it back on when I get home, then turn it off again before bed. It's a little annoying, but I found that even my low-light plants were turning yellow without any light at all.

If your axie digs your plants up you might want to get some rocks to hold it down/ protect the roots. I leave my light on for 4-6 hours a day as my tank has lots of shady areas and a fair few plants. Don't be afraid to plant your tank- I was told that I was wasting my time and the axies would kill them but they are all doing fine- just have to protect them from being dug up.

The main thing with lighting is that the bulb can heat the tank so keep an eye on it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back