Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Substrate question

K3teach

Reaction score
I haven't gotten axies yet, but I am setting up the tank so that I can get it cycling before I get them. I read online that you can use slate tiles for the bottom of the tank like you would get at the home improvement store just so that the tank isn't bare bottomed. Any comments? Would that hurt them at all? What about large river stones? How large would they need to be so that they aren't a danger for the axolotls? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get good info to set up the tank right before I get the axies to put in there.

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
The slate should be siliconed to the tank so nothing is trapped under it. The rocks should be bigger than is mouth or head, but traps dirt under. And silicone takes a while to dry(Must be aquarium safe). You could put like paper or tht aquarium background under the tank so it looks better but is still bare bottomed. Or have rinsed sand as the substrate and stir up the muck and suck it up to clean.
A.

Quentari

Reaction score
You can silicone down any sized gravel or rocks (just give it a week to dry and make sure it's siliconed down properly) to stop any dirt going under. Most glass silicone says aquarium safe on the back so just keep an eye out for that :)

auntiejude

Reaction score
I started out with large rocks, but it was really hard to clean as poop and food got trapped between abd under them.
I now have silicon-ed down sand and rocks on an acrylic board - better grip for axie feet and very easy to clean.

pondweed

Reaction score
I started out with large rocks, but it was really hard to clean as poop and food got trapped between abd under them.
I now have silicon-ed down sand and rocks on an acrylic board - better grip for axie feet and very easy to clean.

Ooh, this is a good idea. :) Does it fit nice and snugly in the bottom of the tank so stuff doesn't get under...? Or is the acrylic actually siliconed to the bottom as well?

auntiejude

Reaction score
Hubby shaped the acrylic sheet to exactly the same size at the tank bottom so it's a snug fit, but it can be removed for a major clean if needed.
But please be aware that silicone absolutely STINKS - they use vinegar as a solvent, and in the quantities we used we choked, had to open doors and windows, it made out eyes sting! But it was worth it.

K3teach

Reaction score
Well I am getting 2 wild type juviniles Friday so they will be in their own bowls with daily water changes until they get big enough to be housed together. Once I get the tank set up I will post a pic. I am so excited they will be here soon!!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1