Question: Axolotl Pellets

Nano

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Ben
I was browsing when I came across these pellets: http://www.exotic-pets.co.uk/axolotl-pellets.html
I was just wondering what you think of them and weather or not I should get these to feed my axolotl
Please don't tell me what to feed my axolotl because I just want you opinion on the pellets
me3ujury.jpg

Pellets are a great food option if your axolotl actually eats them. They're nutritious and they'll make your axie grow nice and big.

A few draw backs to pellets are that they mold rather quickly if they are left uneaten, and also the droppings they make are powdery and will very easily murk up your water. When I fed my juvie pellets, I had to change her water every two days.

Also be aware that your axie could ingest a worrying amount of substrate depending on how you choose to feed them the pellets. I kept my juvie on a bare-bottom tank while she was on pellets just to make sure she wasn't gulping any sand.

These are the pellets I use. I don't know if you can find them in your area or not.

I feed them pellets too but not as their main food. I prefer worms, pellets are more like a snack.

My Mudkip loves his pellets. They are a good backup for when you can't get live foods in. It is a good way to get them all the nutrients they need :)

I have those exact pellets, my axies love them. I have found that you need to soak them for about half an hour or they are too hard and the axies spit them out.
I don't feed them pellets every day, but they are a useful stand by. I also feed them to my river shrimp, which then get fed to the axies!

Mine are almost exclusively fed pellets. They occasionally get a cricket but only as a snack, I know they aren't very nutritious! Those ones look fine. It's labeled as an axolotl pellet so they should be perfect :)

Thats where i get mine from.

They are fantastic.

If your axolotl hasn't had pellets before they may take a little while to get used to them.

I've not known an axolotl not eat them eventually.

Mel

Woo-hoo! I know where I'm getting my pellets and wriggly treats from now!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back