Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Potentially ill tiger salamander

JoshBA

Reaction score
One of my 4 tiger salamanders has been showing signs of being ill: it has been acting lethargic and moves around more slowly, and hasn't been showing much interest in eating any food (although it takes notice/watches its prey). In addition to this, I've noticed when I touch his body, it presses in more like a balloon, rather than a plump salamander. It's also more round in appearance and limp. From this I originally suspected bloat, but the salamander is yet to grow any larger.
The first thing I thought it may be was the slight increase in temperature we've had over the last few days. The tank did rise to 23C/75F to which I responded with measures to cool it (frozen water bottles, etc.). The salamander has since been put in quarantine for safety reasons.
Any suggestions on what might be causing these symptoms? I am certain it cannot be caused by a fungal infection as there is not apparent symptoms on the skin.

RPM

Reaction score
If it were temperature related, I would think it would effect all of them. What are you feeding them? It’s good you quarantined it and may find comfort under a hide or burrowing if it chooses. I have a tiger that became lethargic and limp, showed no interest in food with the skin appearing dull and loose and thought for sure it was the end for her but after a couple of weeks snapped back. Keep us updated with additional information.

JoshBA

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply! I am feeding my salamanders a diet of European nightcrawlers and Canadian nightcrawlers.
As of now the salamander has been acting the same, although I did get it to eat a small earthworm recently (which is awesome!). I am wondering if it is showing these symptoms from being weak. This particular tiger salamander was burrowed down in a foot of coconut fiber for around 2 months before I dug it up 2 weeks ago. From not having a steady food supply during the time it was burrowed, it may have weakened body systems, which presumably need some time to recover (through steady feeding). This may have left the salamander more vulnerable to illness or environmental changes.
So, if the symptoms are from heat or other causes, would it be this particular salamander because of it being weaker?

RPM

Reaction score
Burrowing for long periods of time should not weaken them. I’ve had them burrowed for 3.5 months and they awaken a little sluggish. Some may take about a week to resume normal eating patterns, but most recover on the first day or two.. In nature in the northern states, they remain burrowed for the entire winter months. Good to hear it ate. You could try a fast moving food such as crickets to entice its appetite and spraying it down will also stimulate them to eat. Since it did eat, maybe just leave it alone for a while.

JoshBA

Reaction score
Okay that's good to know. I just supposed it would become weak because it seems its metabolism would be at a normal rate when burrowed (at room temps). But then again, they also must endure this during dry spells of the summer (late August) in the wild, when they are also burrowed. Its interesting that these salamanders are able to go into a state of dormancy during both the winter and the summer.
As of now I am yet to see the salamander become more lively, although the fact that it took food convinces me that its getting better.

lutik

Reaction score
Hi!

I got my new tiger salamander. I found strangle black points her all body.
qzch.jpg
o6re.jpg

Do you know what are these?
Thanks, A.

http://**************/photo/my-images/849/o6re.jpg/
http://**************/photo/my-images/845/qzch.jpg/

speckles

Reaction score
I've never noticed my tiger acting sluggish when he first wakes up from a long buried rest. He buried himself in around November and didn't poke his head up till late February and he ate a worm right a way. It's best just to wait and see if the behavior continues.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1