Working on his cardio?

Fidget

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Carly
I got my 'lotls on Friday and today I noticed my wild type has been going back and forth and back and forth just about all day. He did it for about 10 minutes straight just now and he's stopped finally. When I got them I swear they were the same size, now it seems the WT is slightly larger than my leucistic, who just sits around and occasionally goes up to gulp some air and divebombs right back down. I'm hoping this behavior isn't some sort of protest to something wrong in my tank, I have noticed the current is still a little more than I'd like even with a baffle.

It wouldn't hurt to check the water parameters. Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH and temperature. Also, do you use dechlorinator in your water? If they are all fine then it's probably just your axie who's full of energy.

Mine swims around all the time like a torpedo. He's really active on a night and spends the whole night swimming back and forth. It's got to the point where he swims into the thermometer and it's now wonky because he just head butts it constantly. He's always done it and there's nothing wrong with his water.

I agree, the water parameters may be off. How big is his tank? How many other tankmates? If that all checks out, he's probably just [as you said] training for the Ambystoma olympics!

I have a wild type who doesn't do alot and a melenoid which floats and swims back and forth all the time! I think some axies are just active as my water parameters are okay. Are you in view when he does this? He might be showing off for some grub lol.

I checked all parameters and they're good, he ended up getting a little floaty the day after but he's fine now after what I suspect is a good fart. It's a 20 gallon long and it's the WT and Leucistic, both about 3 inches but the WT is a bit bigger.

My wild type would do that before I started letting the treated tap water age before adding it to the tank. He doesn't do it anymore--he's still active at night, but he doesn't do the wild pacing back and forth. Do you let the tap water age before water changes?

I have three in one tank, and one of them is very active following me up and down the room, whereas the other two like to sit in the same spot all day.
As long as your water parameters are good, then i wouldnt worry :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back