Question: Feed too much?

kapooey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kapooey
I have my 2 new cutie pie for almost a week. Hikari is about 1.5 inches long and Yami is only about half inches. I feed Hikari twice a day, morning and night. For Yami, I used to feed him/her once a day but since couple days ago Yami saw me feeding Hikari in the morning, he/she give me a mean look and asked for food. So I start feeding Yami twice a day also.

I feed them with frozen blood worms because Yami doesn't really like live black worms. For Hikari, he/she doesn't care as long as it's food.

I figure out Hikari didn't eat that much now and my dad thinks I am over feeding him/her. And should I keep on feeding Yami twice a day? And should I just feed Hikari once a day? At first Yami eat very little, but now Yami eats a lot, always ask for food:D

When axolotls are that young, I feed twice a day, as much as they can eat. You don't really have to worry about over feeding until they are adults. Just be sure to remove any uneaten food after thirty minutes or so, with the exception of the live blackworms. When my babies were little I kept blackworms in their containers so they would always have food available. Frozen bloodworms can foul the water quickly if they aren't removed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back