Axy and (oops) baby snails!

indipendance

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys,

So I have a super awesome new dilemma I need some advice on. About a month ago, we got a trap door snail to live in our axy tank and play house keeper. Cool little animal, keeps the grime down on the walls and we throw in an algae pellet when it's looking a little "too" clean. Our Axy is in great health (leucistic), just hit about 7", big fans, good nightcrawler eater, 20 gal tank w bare bottom, rocks, and good hides. Get's a 20%-30% water change each week and has a couple white cloud "buddies" to keep him "company" (aka snacks).

So I cleaned Halboy's tank on Sunday, and tonight I went in to feed him and there was this little thing on the side of the tank. I told my hubby I thought something was wrong with Halboy because his poop looked really round and weird and my husband goes "that's not waddle poop, that's a baby snail!" Ahhh!

Further investigation revealed THREE baby snails roaming around (there could be more, this was at about 10pm last night, and there's lots of great places to hide a tiny snail) and I have no idea what to do with them. I'm mostly concerned that Halboy will eat the baby snails (doesn't seem to have thus far) and get an impaction. Should I take the baby snails out? If so, how often do they need water changes? Should I put the mama snail with the babies?

I know this isn't the usual subject on here, but I would love any advice anyone has. I'm sure I'm not the first person who has purchased a knocked-up snail before. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Trap door snails generally aren't advisable. There's an awful incident in the species mixing disasters where a curious - and hungry - 'Lotl went investigating and had its throat slit when the snail brought the door down. It's probably a rare event, and it's up to you whether it's worth risking, but you might do better trying to control algae by out-competing it with mosses and more live plants.

What species of snail is it, and how big will it get?

I don't really know what to suggest with your current situation, though. You could separate the 'Lotl, or pick off the baby snails as you find them if you don't want them.

I was told trap doors are good because they also like the cold water and most other types of snails need warmer water to survive. I don't want to kill the baby snails, and the mama is WAY too big for Halboy to even attempt to nibble on, I just don't want him to go after a baby and hurt himself.

So I take it I should take the babies out and let them get bigger before I allow them back in the tank, or I could have a horror flick on my hands?

So I did some online research (I trust everything that I read on the internet!:p), and from what I see as general themes, I have learned:

1. Trapdoor snails are the same thing as Chinese mystery snails.

2. They are live bearers! (COOL!!!)

3. They rarely give birth.

4. Mama snails could eat babies snails.

With all this lovely new info, I moved the babies out into a bowl with some of the cycled water from my tank. I did a thorough search of the tank, moving all hides, and there seem to just be the three. The mama snail is no longer in hiding and is moving around and eating, so I'm guessing she is done making baby snails.

I will keep a close eye on the tank, make sure Halboy eats an extra feeding tonight in case there are anymore babies in the next 24 hours (fat happy waddles don't eat things they shouldn't) and try to raise some baby snails!

We were going to name the snails Charles and Darwin, but now that I've discovered a third, we will need to come up with something else witty...:grin:

I had read that the trapdoor snails can trap bits of the axolotl in its trapdoor.

Not advised to be kept together as also mentioned above.

I'd remove them all form the axolotl tank (including the big one)

Mel

The size of a snail won't stop an axolotl TRYING to have a go at it. (And I wouldn't bank of keeping an axolotl well-fed as a true preventative measure.)

And I found the incident in question:

36. Axolotl + Apple snail
"Snails--Advice?"
March 14, 2004 - 03:24:

I recently acquired 4 axolotls. Ranging from 1 1/2" to 2 1/2". I also raise apple snails. Apple snails have an operculum or door to their shell that they retract inside when they pull in their foot. The operculum is made of the same material as the shell and therfore hard with sharp edges.

After settling the axolotls into their tank with a few apple snails, I left them alone for about 30 minutes, and when I returned, the largest axolotl (also my only leucistic) had its head inside one of the snails. This particular snail was around 3" in diameter. What probably happened was that when the axolotl investigated, the snail tried to close up into its shell.

Well I pulled the shell open enough to get the axolotl out and the operculum had cut its throat, of course killing my axolotl. If I had left it in the tank the snail probably would have eaten what it could and the other snails would have joined in. If you have a weak or injured fish, newt, etc. or something that simply cannot get away from a snail it could very well be eaten.

Please also add, that while snails may be slow, they are still very interesting and amazing creatures to keep. Also, that while larger apple snails pose a danger to soft bodied creatures (and this only because of the previously mentioned self-preservation ability) their are many other species of snail that do not have a "door". Therefore being safe for any, but slow, sick, or injured creatures.

Link back.

Some members keep smaller, softer-shelled snails (without operculums) in with their axolotls, and the axolotls feed on them. It sounds like your snail and 'Lotl have been co-existing (I wouldn't say "getting along"), but that's not to say it's worth the risk when there are other ways to keep algae under control.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Looks like we will be doing that tank upgrade we were talking about sooner rather than later...

Time for the roommate to move out!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back