Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Will my axy be okay?

Possum63

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm going away for six days in two weeks and I'm really worried about leaving my axy. I have two who are about nine months old and 19.5cm and 16.5cm. They live in the same tank and get along fine. I will feed them on the monday night before I leave and then again on the sunday night when I get back but I'm worried that they aren't old enough yet to go so long with out being fed :( I know fully grown axy can go up to 7 days without being fed but my babies are still growing and are only young...

They are very precious to me and I'd be devastated if they died because I couldn't feed them :( I've tried getting someone in to feed them but they can't so I don't know what to do. I can't cancel my trip either :(

Do you think they will be okay for six days without being fed?

Neil C

Reaction score
Your axolotls will easily be able to survive without being fed for six days. I personally would stop feeding them a few days before you leave so they will dirty the water less while you are away. Another potential problem is that while you are away they will start to get hungry and may end up nipping each other causing injury. Is there anyway you can put a tank divider in the tank while you are away to stop any biting?

Regards Neil

Possum63

Reaction score
Thank you for answering! I can try locate/make a tank divider before I go. I figured there is only two of them in a 90cm x 38cm tank and they have three decent hides plus a few ornaments to hide around and stuff so I thought they would be okay but if you think I should still put in a divider I will do that :)

Thanks again for replying... I was really worried about leaving them for so long but now I feel better and will be able to enjoy my time away without worrying so much :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!