Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I think Timotei is really sick!

Gromgalgo

Reaction score
Hello fellow Axolotl slaves.

Lately, for the past week my sweet Timotei has been acting really strange! I've had her since she was 3 months old (shes close to two years now, and 23cm from tail to nose).

My routines and aquarium size

The temperature is never above 20, usually around 17-19. I have a small filter with a "spread head" (looks like a spreader) to prevent too much water circulation. I have an airpump to help with surface movement and added oxygen. There is currently no plants, and the substrate is of fine sand (which I recently changed, and cleaned for over an hour - I usually change the substrate every 3-4 months). I do 10-15% water change every other day (the aquarium is 110 liters, and I change 10 liters now and then).

The "problem"

Bascily, she stopped eating, which for her is really strange to beging with. I feed her small to medium-sized earth worms every day, swapping them out for shrimps, crickets, mealworms (I kill these first, to prevent them from hurting Timo). She has refused food for over a week now, counting day 8. First time I've experienced this.

Today I saw her blood vesels became really visible, and her head looks really swollen. She's also "coughing" it seems like, form time to time - It kinda looks like "eating in reverse" (I asume she's trying to cough something up?). She still poops, but I'm not sure if it's more or less than before.

Beside that she is "coughing", refuse to eat and looks really swollen, she "acts" normal. Swims a lttle here and there - Looks at anyone comming close to the aquarium and due to the fact that she's been hand fed her entire life, she doesn't get scared when I put my hand close to her.

Some pictures

This is Timotei about a year ago.

551487_10151417390743548_1867592428_n.jpg

This is a picture a week ago (I took the picture, as I was afraid of the "black things" on her lip).

q8vy.jpg

And this is pictures taken less than 2hrs ago (The registration thingy took ages...)

d2h.jpg

p600.jpg

These two pictures bellow, is what I mean about the blood vessels being very visible...

et6r.jpg

8vf1.jpg

I'm currently checking the temperature in my fridge to try fridging (My first worry is something with her bowlmovement), if that doesn't do it, I'm worried it might be infection?

Does anyone have any idea what's wrong with my Timotei?!

pondweed

Reaction score
I don't think fridging her will no any harm, and if the issue is bacterial and she needs taking to the vets, having her in the fridge will slow the spread of the infection.

It would help if you could post your water parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates) just in case anything's gone awry there.

Poor girl. I really hope someone has suggestions for you. Perhaps you could start looking for vets nearby that treat exotics in case you have to take her in.

Gromgalgo

Reaction score
I\m sad to say, I took her to a vet, and they didn't know what was wrong. She was found dead this morning at the vetrenarian...

For what it is worth, I'd like to thanks for the attention I got to this matter. If you ever get similar problems with your Axie, please - Go to a trained vet who knows amphibians. Sadly, for Timotei, There are no vetrenarians in my area that knows how to take care of amphibians.

RIP. Timotei.

Mortimer

Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your loss. She looked a lot like my oldest (wild type) axolotl Mortimer looks now and has looked for a while. His jaw is swollen and his mouth is open. And he did the reverse coughing thing for a while, too...i know exactly what you're talking about. It's painful to watch. And Mortimer also refused food for over a week. Luckily, he's eating again.

I also took Mortimer to the vet hospital a while back, and they said he was fine(and thought I was crazy)...?? They said it could be the beginning of MBD, so I changed his food. We'll see.

Were you able to check your water parameters? My water is always fine these days, but the pH is high. I'm wondering if these symptoms could be pH related......do you know what your water's pH usually is?

Sharon

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1