Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Chiller Options for low flow

Just Me

Reaction score
I recently acquired 7 Axolotl at a exotic pet convention. I was able to get the temperature of the tank I have them in now down to 66 Deg F (18.8 Deg C) by lowering my air conditioning to 72Deg F (22.2 DegC) and using a fan to blow across the water. I will be moving them to a 75 Gallon (340.9 L) Long aquarium measuring 60"(152cm) X 18"(45.7cm) X 16"(40.6cm). My question is, How can I set up a chiller for the tank that will keep the flow to a minimum so that it does not stress them out?

I would prefer to be able to keep my air conditiong at 75 DegF (23.8 DegC) as that is what I usually keep it at. Every chiller I find says that it needs a flow of at least 250 GPH (1136.5 LPH) I just do not want to stress the little guys out. I do have an Eheim classic 2217 and an Eheim Classic 2213 that I could use but every chiller I find says that these are to low of a flow to work properly.

What are some suggestions of Chiller and filter combos that would work for this? My budget is around $800 for this.

Thank you for your help.

Gailgirl

Reaction score
I have a small chiller and Fluval Canister filter set up on my 35 gal. The flow from the canister filter, once it travels through the chiller, is diminished somewhat; if you look on tropical fish forums where current is ideal, you'll see lots of owners complaining about this fact. Also, I set up a homemade spray bar, just some tubing with a plug on the end that I drilled lots of little holes in along one side, facing the glass. One of my girls likes to sit right against it, some axolotls are lazy and like to sit there where the water is more oxygenated. Definitely get a filter with the right flow, or even a little higher since the rated flow is an approximation. Don't want your chiller to freeze up. I have a 1/15 Current chiller, and it drops my tank 12-15 degrees.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1