Baby axolotl, feeding, help.

daniellaxx

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have a baby axolotl, and was just wondering what to feed him right now, I don't think he is eating the brineshrimp I give him anymore, could someone please help me and give me some tip's, im new to caring for baby axolotls, and want to be able to breed in the future.
& im not to sure how old he is, if anyone could tell roughly that would be great!
Thankyou.

Attachments

• baby ax.jpg
    baby ax.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 345
  • baby axx.jpg
    baby axx.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 459
  • bayax.jpg
    bayax.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 784
Daphnia are great as they are also freshwater and will just swim about untill eaten.
You could try cutting up some bloodworm and feeding that but really the daphnia is the easiest and they are quite cheap!

awsum, getting on that right now :) thanks so much!!
what about earthworms, if I cut them up? 2 big?

Earthworm are way too big at the minute.

At that age they need live food as they are too small to smell out food.
Baby brine or daphnia are your best foods at that size

Mel

thankyou, I got daphnia for him, and feed it to him yesterday and today but I do not think he is eating it at all. :(

Take a picture of him from above.
Should be able to see if he's eating.

**edit** just seen you asked how old we think he is also. I don't even see front legs so i'd say only a couple of weeks old.
Did you buy him from somewhere. I wouldn't have let him go at that age he's far too small.

Mel

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back