Side... rotting?

JettaMarz

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Hey, my ax is having a problem. I'm hoping someone will know what's going on by the picture and have some advice!
sickem_zps3cdb7033.jpg

She is curving to the right and her right side is emaciated and the skin looks like it's being eaten away in a white patch, she also has a small white lump on the right side of her head.

For a few months her front right arm has seemed to stop working... sometimes. She would just let it float up, and not use it when swimming. But other times it would be fine. She is not using it now.

She has lost her appetite over the past 4 or 5 days.

She has always been alone in her tank and nothing has changed in her environment recently.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I'm thinking that the white patches might be fungus, but it's probably best to wait and see what more experienced people on here have to say before doing anything.

Do you know the water parameters? Ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/pH/temperature?

Also...how long has this been going on?

Is she missing fingers on her right front leg? It looks like there may be fungus there, too....maybe from an accident?

It looks like a fungus. Look up the salt baths and maybe start her on a round of them

I am not sure that it is fungus. I would advise taking her to a vet as from your description this may be quite painful for her.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back