Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Non floater floating...

Gangsterluff

Reaction score
I have two axies, ones a floater and ones a walker. My family and I went out to eat for father's day and when I got back my axie who hardly ever comes off the bottom (the walker) was floating sorta sideways and trying frantically to stay down. He's been like this for a few hours. My other axolotl floats quite often, but he actually likes it and doesn't mind it at all. Anyways I was wondering if I should fridge him in shallow water or wait it out until tomorrow morning to see how he is? I'm quite worried because he never has floated before since I've had him. Water parameters: ph- 6.6 ammonia- 0 to .25 nitrite- 0 to .25 nitrate- between 10 and 20 temperature- 21 degrees C He's close to 6 inches and on sand. Please help if you can.

Quentari

Reaction score
I had an axie for months and never saw her float, then we got her a tank mate who floated and suddenly she started. It's like they learn it off their tank mates lol, although I'm a little worried that yours is floating sideways, he might have an air bubble. Frigdeing in shallow water is probably best, keep us updated!!!

Oh what's your water like? sometimes water can affect one axie more than the other

Gangsterluff

Reaction score
Well he's not completely sideways when he floats he's just a little crooked I would say. I think I'll leave him in the tank overnight, as its pretty late here in my time zone, and I'll check up on him in the morning. If he's still floating, I'll pop him in the fridge for a few days. He didn't seem as bad when I checked on him a few minutes ago. He wasn't floating up to the surface as fast as he was earlier and he was under a plant that kept him from floating to the surface so maybe he's a little better. I'll keep y'all posted. Oh and the water isn't bad I don't think. I do daily water changes (20% usually) because the tank is still cycling. The worst thing about it is the temperature (21 C). But I've got some parts for two DIY peltier chillers ordered so it shouldn't be too much of a problem for much longer.

melfly

Reaction score
The temp can cause floating.

Do you have a filter in there? Is it working as it should.
We have had power cuts and if the filter is off all of my axolotls float :confused:

Could also just be a bit of trapped air if he's at a funny angle. The fridge could sort this is he's still doing it later.

Mel

Gangsterluff

Reaction score
Yeah he was still floating this morning and as far a I know my filter is still moving water. Anyways I went ahead and put both of my lotls in the fridge. It'll be easier to take care of them and it shouldn't hurt my healthy one. Right? Here's a pic of Barbosa (the one with the bubble) right before I carried him out to the fridge.
jygy2aje.jpg

He was still floating, but at least his feet can touch now. I read the fridging guide and I've done pretty much exactly what it's said so hopefully he'll come out alright. I'll leave him in there for a few days and see how it goes. I'm also gonna leave my healthy one in there until I get my chiller parts in and the tank has cooled down. Anymore advice?

melfly

Reaction score
Those gills are amazing!!

I would keep them there until your sorted for the chillers.

Just make sure you change the water daily with water of the same temp.

Good luck

Mel

Gangsterluff

Reaction score
Why thank you! I am pretty proud of his gills. I'll be sure to keep up with the water changes. I've got dechlorinated water chilled and ready to go for water changes. They have pooped. A lot! So I'll probably change it soon and then again later tonight. Pooping seems to have helped Barbosa though. His belly is on the bottom now and he's all sprawled out and comfortable like he usually is. I'm still gonna leave them in there until I get my chiller though. Thanks for the input! Feel free to add anything and I'll keep y'all updated.

Quentari

Reaction score
Why thank you! I am pretty proud of his gills. I'll be sure to keep up with the water changes. I've got dechlorinated water chilled and ready to go for water changes. They have pooped. A lot! So I'll probably change it soon and then again later tonight. Pooping seems to have helped Barbosa though. His belly is on the bottom now and he's all sprawled out and comfortable like he usually is. I'm still gonna leave them in there until I get my chiller though. Thanks for the input! Feel free to add anything and I'll keep y'all updated.

sounds like maybe he was constipated then :)

shazza

Reaction score
Mine is kept at 21deg with a chiller, with the temps here in summer just not fessable to have it lower it would run non stop. In our cooler months now and had some cold days. I reset the chiller to 18 deg just to see howd he go. The tank was mid 19s anyway at the time. He didnt seem to like it was acting all weird.. put it back to 21 back to his usual self.. Hes a big healthy bugger so cant be hurting him too much

Gangsterluff

Reaction score
Mine is kept at 21deg with a chiller, with the temps here in summer just not fessable to have it lower it would run non stop. In our cooler months now and had some cold days. I reset the chiller to 18 deg just to see howd he go. The tank was mid 19s anyway at the time. He didnt seem to like it was acting all weird.. put it back to 21 back to his usual self.. Hes a big healthy bugger so cant be hurting him too much

Haha I guess he likes the heat! And really mine sat at 21 for three weeks and him floating was the very first sign of stress I've seen. I think if they get used to that temperature than that's what they're going to want!

Gangsterluff

Reaction score
Out of curiosity today I tried to feed them. As I suspected they wouldn't eat because of the cold water and slowed down metabolism. Anyways I was wondering how often they do need to eat while in the fridge. They used to eat 6-7 inches worth of earthworms each, everyday, while they were in the tank. They're not skinny or hungry looking right now but I was sort of curious as to when they need to eat.

melfly

Reaction score
Keep offering food, but if they don't eat it within 10 minutes i'd take it back out.

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1