As Much Advice As Possible Needed!!--Shipping Axolotls juveniles***

mikeg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Michael
Hey everyone!

Okay so lately iv been highly considering shipping axolotls across Canada due to many people asking if i can because they cant find anyone selling near them. Iv have gone out and got myself a Paypal account to make purchases easier, and got quotes from UPS for shipping them overnight in the live animal section. All packages will leave the station at 7pm and arrive at the persons door between 9-12 in the morning which means about 16 hours. What i was wondering is i am going to ship in a big freezer ziplock bag that is 12x8x8 with about 30% water, lock and duck tape the opening for extra security that it wont burst open if thrown around as well as double bag, how long can axolotls survive in the bag? How many can i put in one bag safely with out running out of oxygen? Axolotls that i am shipping are between 3-4 inches, and will be shipped with a couple ice packs and that Styrofoam stuff that they gave me.

Anything else i should know or worry about?

Please help
:happy::happy::happy:

It sounds like you are doing your homework, bravo! Shipping is a pain in the neck, and I applaud your effort to do it carefully.

If their temperature remains within tolerance, they could probably survive 2 days or more packaged like that. What do you estimate to be the water volume in that size bag (is it a 1-gallon size bag)? I think you could probably only put one or maybe two animals that size per bag.

Breather bags are nice, as you don't have to leave any air space - no sloshing, and less box space needed. But they will add to your shipping costs. Websearch "breather bags" if you don't know what I'm talking about.

ziplock bags might pop open.

That's a good point. Changes in air pressure (like on an airplane) will expand the volume of air. Keep that in mind if you use ziplocs - you may want to use a larger size.

When I got my axie, he was shipped to me in a plastic water bottle. That may provide you with something that wouldn't be as likely to open during shipping and may hold up better.

Okay so i have decided to take pictures of what exactly i mean because visuals are always easier to understand and future members wondering how to ship can hopefully use mine as an example. And yes i have done a lot of researching lol

The shipping with be next day arrival via cargo plane. The bag will not be 100% inflated, the measurements read 12 inches in height and 9 inches in width, it is industrial bags used in hospitals ( neighbor is a doctor). Never hear of breather bags before did some research turns out it takes out CO2 and lets in O2 , pretty cool going to look for cheapest price for me to buy in bulk. The bag when duck taped on the top can hold 180 pound ( got my brother to stand on the bag **AXOLOTLS WHERE NOT INSIDE!!!**) and did not pop until he jumped where it didn't even unzip it poped in the middle. Took a picture of the bag with 1 axolotl in it then 3 axolotls so you cans can see how much space they have, aswell as i can fit 3 bags in one box with enough space for stuffing and about 5 ice packs.

Attachments

• IMG_00001212.jpg
    IMG_00001212.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 754
  • IMG_00001214.jpg
    IMG_00001214.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 619
  • IMG_00001215.jpg
    IMG_00001215.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 668
  • IMG_00001217.jpg
    IMG_00001217.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 838
  • IMG_00001220.jpg
    IMG_00001220.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 576
  • IMG_00001221.jpg
    IMG_00001221.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 754
  • IMG_00001228.jpg
    IMG_00001228.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 611
  • IMG_00001226.jpg
    IMG_00001226.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 775
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back