Is my new axolotl stressed.

narny101

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
narny101
I just got an axie (like 30 mins ago) and she was really stressed but she has started to calm down a bit.... does anyone have any ideas to speed up getting comfortable in a new environment?

Re: Is my axolotl stressed?

I just got an axie (like 30 mins ago) and she was really stressed but she has started to calm down a bit.... does anyone have any ideas to speed up getting comfortable in a new environment?

Leaving it well alone to calm down and get used to new surroundings, there is nothing more than you can do as every animal is going to be stressed after being in transit for any period of time.

Re: Is my axolotl stressed?

ok thanx, I turned the light of and left her for a few hours, now is happily swimming around not looking stressed at all

hello from Australia

Attachments

• 100_3725.jpg
    100_3725.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 552
Should i be wrorried?

yesterday I got a new axie, and she keeps running into the walls of the tank, she also appears to want to swim up the wall but can't get of the ground, she is active and healthy as far as I know, but she is a bit clumsy, can someone help? I don't want my poor axie getting sick!

Attachments

• 100_3724.jpg
    100_3724.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 404
Re: Should i be wrorried?

They are just really clumsy creatures. How big is the tank? If she's doing it a lot maybe she needs one a bit bigger.

S.O.S

something is wrong with my axie, I have had her less then 24 hours and she is less active, not eating, and I don't know what to do!!! I have checked the water temperature, I have gorn on like 50 different websites and I still don't know what to do, she is still swimming but she is more clumsy, she ate a little bit of blood worm but not much I am scared she will die so if anyone can help please I need answers A.S.A.P:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Re: S.O.S

CALM DOWN. Lordy. You are stressing me out just reading how stressed you sound! If this is the same axy you have mentioned in an earlier post about being clumsy I really wouldn't worry too much. Axy are generally really clumsy critters. My two are always banging their heads on ornaments and walls especially when they have a spazz session...

Also, you have only had him/her less than 24 hours so he/she is probably still settling in. They can be very active and stressed when you first get them but if she/he is less active it could be because he/she is just feeling more calm and comfortable. It's a good sign! And as for eating well they don't always eat a lot anyway especially after transport and being changed into a new home. Juvies should be feed daily but mine can go days without eating anything - they just aren't interested and doesn't mean they are ill. Try again in the morning and hopefully he/she will have more of an appetite.

If after a few days she/he still hasn't eaten and you observe him/her showing signs of stress or his/her condition deteriorating then you should start to worry and seek further help. Good luck :)

Re: S.O.S

She might not eat if she's a little stressed. I left mine for a day before I fed him, he was very scared when I put him in his tank.
To be honest, axolotls are very clumsy. Mine is always swimming head first into everything. They don't have the best eyesight and just seem to swim until they hit something. You'll get used to it, they can end up in some very funny positions when they're trying to find their way around objects. :D
Mine tends to be quite slow and sleeps during the day. He's more active on a night.

I would leave her to get used to her surroundings and then try feeding her later on. :happy:

Re: Should i be wrorried?

Do a quick water quality check :)

I have also merged a few of your posts together.

Last edited:
thanx, sorry about sounding so stressed, but once I had an axolotl that sadly passed away and I didn't want it to happen again, she is better now.... and I don't know why the post got merged, I guess I clicked the wrong button :p

Glad to hear you have both calmed down :D its natural to stress ourselves out when we get new pets... Ive certainly done it a lot in the past few months since getting my axy. We learn pretty quick though when something is seriously wrong or if its just our axy being quirky... You did the right thing seeking help when you are unsure though. Always better to be safe than sorry! :) By the way, your setup looks lovely!

Yep, glad you've calmed down, don't stress too much - lots of lotls don't eat for a day or so after being moved. I'd agree with checking the water, is your tank cycled ?

Also, I'd leave the light off unless you can dim it, it hurts their eyes and causes stress, my axolotls freak out and hide if the light is too bright.

Give your little friend a couple of days to settle into it's new home, keep an eye on water quality and I'm sure all will be good :happy:

The poor bugger was probably stressing, watching u stressing! Mate the amount of times if come to the tank to find him in what Miss 5 calls the "What the!" pose. And they use the bump and feel method to get round. Ram into something then change direction. Pablo reminded me of pinball machine during one of spaz attacks..

enjoy ur new mate :D

yeah, I only turned the light on for the photo, it's winter here and it is pretty much dark all the time, I do have a filter and I do check the water often, she is a bit less active but that's probably just she is used to the new tank now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back