Young axolotls in the fridge?

Jasmini

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Display Name
Jasmine
In about two days, the temperatures will rise here over 30°C and I have 95 little axolotls, who are now almost 3 months old. I will be gone all day, so I can't keep an eye on them or cool the water if it gets to hot. Is it okay for such young axolotls to be put in the fridge? Ofcourse I won't be able to put all of them in there, but it would be something...

*Bump*

I actually need to know today if this is safe for them or not... I'll be leaving the house early tomorrow.

Yes, this should be safe. Especially if you set your fridge on the lower setting (so it's not so cold)

I wouldn't put little ones in the fridge.

I'm from Australia & have to cope with bad summers too... Things you can do to help keep the place cool is open up the windows in the house during the night (if you're lucky enough to get the cooler nights - totally different story if you have those horrible hot evenings with no reprieve from the heat!). Close up the house early in the morning & close all the curtains / blinds. That generally keeps the house much cooler than outside temp to start with. If you've got ac leave it on low or dehumidify & that will help.

You could put your little ones into slightly deeper larger containers - more water holds temp better. Then aim a fan (or 2-3) over the top of the containers that should keep the temp down 3-5 degC

I hope they cope alright with the heat - it's very stressful worrying about temperature increases in summer :eek:

Let us know how it goes :)

<3 >o_o< <3

Fridging isn't a short term temporary solution as dropping their temperature so dramatically just for one day would be far more stressful.. Reacclimatising them should be done over a long time 12-24hrs after to reduce the stress of warning back up.

How warm do you think their water could get? How warm does the house get inside?

<3 >o_o< <3

Their watertemperature is now 20°C and it isn't even that hot outside... My room gets hot very quickly, because of the bad isolation. And they are in containers which hold about 20 liters. That's why I 'm so worried, with temp rising outside to 30°C, it 'll be dangerous for my little ones :(

It wouldn't be so bad if I'd be home, but I'm gone all day. I don't have fans, because I never needed them for my adult axies.

I just received a message that I don't need to work tomorrow! So I can stay home with the little ones :happy:

Thanks anyway for the replies!

What I did when I had a lotl of young axies (just in case someone wants to know):

I placed some ice packs on the bottom of a coolbox thingy (don't know the official English word for this thing, but I mean this:
koelbox.gif

Or something like that)

Placed a towel on top of that. Put the containers with my axie babies on the towel. Put the lid of the coolboxwhatchamacallit back on top but didn't close it all the way up.

It stays cool in there for at least a day. You can just keep replacing the ice packs when you need to. :)

Here in NZ we call those cool box whatcha call it thingies a chilly bin haha :p And that is a fantastic idea. I had a similiar set up using a HUGE polybox with the tank inside. But these big poly boxes can be hard to find... Im lucky I get them once a month full of frozen dog food for my fur baby :D

That's actually a pretty good idea, to bad I have 95 little axies :D I would 've to buy alot of these boxes!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back