Species Inquiry!

Vicious

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am Pretty Sure these two, Slippy and Stumpy are the same species:

This Cutie, Iggy, is different than his playmates. His behavior is also Different as he doesn't hide nearly as much as the other two. His head also seems slightly more angular.

Here they are together. Funny how they seem to look pretty similar though that may change as they get older.

And then the Adult, Sally, who I released a few days ago. We think shes a smallmouth (Scientific name I don't remember, but if it helps I'm from Illinois) but aren't sure.

Thank you to anyone who can help!

So, I have narrowed it down to Six Species:

Ambystoma jeffersonianum-- Jefferson's Salamander
Ambystoma laterale -- Blue-spotted Salamander
Ambystoma platineum -- Silvery Salamander
Ambystoma talpoideum -- Mole Salamander
Ambystoma texanum -- Small-mouthed Salamander
Plethodon glutinosus -- Northern Slimy Salamander

The small mouth and the Northern Slimy seem the most likely Based on the DNRs website as those are the two that have been recorded in my County; Sangamon:

Key to Illinois Salamanders

But I feel like the older salamander doesn't quite fit the descriptions all completely. She didn't have spots or anything like that. Just a brown/Grey top side and Silvery underside. As for the babies, 9 who have completely went through metamorphosis, They are mostly all different. I'm even noticing a slight redish brown tint to a couple of them. I'm noticing blue/silver specks on a few as well.

Still looking for feedback!

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back