Going to Albenga/Alassio Italy. Any herping?

Niels D

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
My gf and I are going to Albenga this summer. I've been there a couple of times and I've made a couple of trips myself, but apart from invertebrates I've never seen many reptiles or amphibians. Does anyone have tips for me? Maybe you want to go yourself and don't mind me joining you. :D

These are a few pics from my visit last year:

Thanks for the facebook reactions and the PM's. I've got the Garmin Etrex 20 so I'm able to find all the hot spots. I will post the pictures (if they're worth posting) of my findings.

Back from Italy and I've seen some interesting animals. Went to a cave with S.strinatii, a puddle with S.salamandra larvae and I've seen some P.murialis with awesome green patterns.

S.strinatii

S.salamandra

P.muralis (not the best pictures)

T.mauritanica

Some bugs

and some roadkill
(C.viridiflavus?)
Large B.bufo

Amazing pictures Niels! You lucky, lucky bastard...
I would have camped in that cave and threatened to bite anyone who tried to take me away.
I know it´s probably the least impressive picture, but i really like the aphid carcasses left behind by the parasitoid wasps. Cruel, but wonderful.
The roadkill Bufo bufo brings back memories of my childhood (ah, isn´t that nice ?). My grandparent´s house was surrounded by them as if there had been a tragic, yet epic battle between the toad people and the machines.
By the way, i think the green "muralis" aren´t muralis at all, but rather juveniles of some Lacerta species, although i´m very rusty so i don´t know the species...bilineata...media? Anyone?

You're talking about the Western green lizzard (L.bilineata). I don't think this is the case though. The banding of the really green one is typical for P.muralis in North/West Italy. The spotted one sitting on the rock has a typical pattern of a male Italian P.muralis. Though the occipitale of the really green one is triangular shaped I still believe it to be P.muralis. L.bilineata juveniles have more brown in them and the banding is more spotted than you see with this specimen. Keep in mind that Italian P.muralis have a lot more green colours than everywhere else in Europe. This is of course what I believe, but I'm no expert at all, so I don't expect you to be wrong. :p

edit: Thanks for enjoying the pics of course!

As i said, i´m really rusty on european lacertids, so take my commentary as mere speculation xD

I did enjoy the pictures, they are lovely! Thank you very much for sharing them.

Maybe a third party can shine his or her light on the subject, because I'm speculating just as well. I'm getting most of my information out of a field guide.....:eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back