Fire belly newt stopped eating!

Sammiebebe18

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Sammie :)
Hello everyone!
So I have 5 fire belly newts and 4 of them are really plump and happy. I have one that has gone anorexic. You can see the poor things hip bones and ribs. I feed them all together In a big separate feeder tub. They get feed every two days so like Monday and then again Thursday. Plus a little snack on Saturday. The get frozen blood worms, mealworms, earthworms, pellets, and crickets. They have a feast to choose from. There tanks are set up 30% land and 70% water. There water stays about 20c. Can anyone think of why this may have happened and how to get it eating again?

I'm gonna put in her in a separate housing tank for a few days and feed her everyday. I think it may be a good plan?

There could be a variety of reasons as to why the newt has stopped eating. It could be:
1. general illness (you would need to post a photo)
2. inadequate environment (you would have to post a photo of the tank as well as water parameters)
3. stress of transportation (you did not say how long you have had these newts, are they fairly recently purchased from a pet shop? Has the newt eaten for you before?)

Basically we need more information.

They all seem to be looking fine. Some do have little brownish spot on them. I tryed to get a picture. There tanks are set up with land and a hide. Along with a 6 inches of swimming water. They do not have a filter but there tanks are cleaned three days when they eat. There is two tanks, this one lived with two others. In a long tank about 5 gallons. I've had the newts for months now and all were eating. I reduced these guys from a store here in Okinawa, Japan. They were kept in plastic cups and sold for 4 USD, 398 yen. This is why I have so many. I also have a new tank coming for these babies that will have a filter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 284
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back