Wild and white axies housed together?

Sammiebebe18

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Sammie :)
Hello!
I have three axies. Two white with black eyes and one black/dark blue (wild). On white and the black are both about 4-5in almost at adult hood so I tryed making them tank mates. The wild bit and the whites face! I'm nervous because I am having a big tank built for them and they will have to get along! Does anyone know if it will be bad to put those two together again? Im hoping to put them together in just a few weeks!

Colours wont matter.
I've heard wilds are more aggressive,but my gold is the aggressive one in my tank and my wilds are very mild mannered.

You need to make sure there are enough places for them to hide and make sure you try and feed them at separate ends of the tank.

Only put them together when you have time to keep an eye on them.

Mel

Alright so it's a touch and go kind of thing? Also is it bad to feed them in separate feeder tanks? I feed almost all my animals in feeder tank because it keeps water clean and helps me monitor how much they eat. Even with this I have high NO2 but that is a different story all together lol. Thank you for responding!

Willow and sky! Are in the picture :) but are in there separate tanks, this was when I tryed putting them together!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 326
I wouldn't say its bad to feed separately as long as you don't stress them out too much moving them around.

Good luck, I hope they make friends soon

Mel

I'm sure I read somewhere on the forum that they are less likely to chomp at each other when they are over 6 inches. Perhaps yours will be OK together when they a bit bigger?
And its usually feeding time when these incidents occur, I believe. My two are now taking a worm each from my hand. That cuts down the chance of a random chomp!
Best of luck when you try them together again. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

And mine are a wild type and a white with black eyes. The white tends to hide from the light more and feeds at the bottom, and the wild type swims high up in the water at feeding time as she's a greedy guts. They were over 6 inches when I put them together in their big tank. So far no issues.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Hello!
I have three axies. Two white with black eyes and one black/dark blue (wild). On white and the black are both about 4-5in almost at adult hood so I tryed making them tank mates. The wild bit and the whites face! I'm nervous because I am having a big tank built for them and they will have to get along! Does anyone know if it will be bad to put those two together again? Im hoping to put them together in just a few weeks!

Your supposed wild type is a melanoid from what I can see and the white axies are leucistic. just though you would like to know :)

Your supposed wild type is a melanoid from what I can see and the white axies are leucistic. just though you would like to know :)

The only way to tell that is by looking at the eyes and seeing if there is a ring of iridophores or not. From that picture it looks more like a really dark wildtype since you can see some lighter coloring under the head.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back