Question: Fighting over food

Jen10s

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Jen
Hi all, anyone have suggestions to stop nipping at dinner time?

I currently have 2 Axies in my 80L tank, each have their own feed jar at opposite ends of the tank but 1 eats quickly and then bullies the other away to eat his food too! Actually ate so much today, he ended up regurgitated most of it, so it's just greedy :eek:

They are both around 7 - 8 inches long, fed daily, 3 small earthworms each and sometimes a cube of bloodworm as well. Thinking I might need to take one of them out to feed but grateful for any suggestions :happy:

Could you improvise some kind of divider for dinner times?

If not best thing might be to remove one to feed.

Mel

I hand feed mine. When another gets too close to the feeding one, I gently nudge it out of the way to prevent accidents.

I also try to feed them at the same time as much as possible. I give one a worm, and while he/she chomps it down I give another axie a worm. That way they can't quite steal from each other either. I stay at the aquarium till all the worms I gave are finished and all my axies are content and lazy :)

I don't know about blood worms. I tend not to give my axies blood worms, too messy. Earthworms are healthier anyway, and they greatly prefer it. Probably because they wriggle around :p

I do what Tephra does, but I also clean my turkey baster with a little tank water (to wash it) then I stuff an earthworm inside. When you squeeze the end, the earthworm will poke out of the end. The axolotl can then take it from the baster. It works wonders for me!
I feed the biggest first, then the smaller axolotl straight after. Like Tephra said, this makes it very hard for them to steal because their mouths are full! You can also gently nudge them with the baster if they get too close. It won't hurt them and they won't fear the baster if you've been using it for a while.
Haha, Blue Oyster Cult's new hit! 'Don't Fear the Baster!' Lol!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back