Bloodworms

Erinony

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi guys
How do I go about trying to feed my newt bloodworms? I bought the refrigerated package. Do I freeze them and then cut up cube and drop in water? DO I unthaw, then put in water? Is a jar or glass necessary? I have a fully aquatic set up with land spaces, but right now new is starving himself and doesn't go in the water. Trying different kinds of foods. I'm just not too sure about cleanup and such and would appreciate any advice. Thanks

I'm not sure I understand what you mean - bloodworms are either bought frozen in cubes or live in little bags in liquid. If you have the frozen ones, but they have been defrosted, they should be thrown away.
To feed frozen bloodworms, defrost them on a piece of tissue and then either throw some into the tank or try feeding the newt with tweezers. On land, you will need to use tweezers or toothpick and move the food in front of the newt. If the newt accepts the bloodworms, you can leave some on a piece of wet tissue next time and it might take them.
If you put any non-living food into water, you need to remove any leftovers in an hour or so.

To feed a newt on land you should try to get some earthworms (preferably not compost worms as they have nasty secretions). Depending on the size of the worm, you might need to cut it. You will have a better chance of the newt eating with something that moves.

I assume this is a newly bought fire-bellied newt and it hasn't gone into water or fed since you got it (?). This is a very common problem - the newt finds it very difficult to adjust, it might even be sick. You need to offer the best possible conditions. Clean (cycled) cool water without any strong currents, plants, hiding places.
Please read as much as you can here and here and look through the help section for threads with the words "orientalis, fire-bellied, newt not eating etc. You will find many threads dealing with the same issues.

These came in a a package of cubes from a pet store but were never frozen.I had been advised to freeze them then unthaw to use. My newt is a t. Granulosa and I have been having problems getting him to eat for a month. I have tried everything but he hasn't appeared sick and now is getting too skinny and doesn't look like he'll make it. I cannot get him to eat anything. He did try to eat a feeder fish the other day but threw it up. I realize they are not the best option for food but he will not eat anything. Thank you for the advice with the bloodworms. And yes I am cleaning his tank and trying to keep the water cool.

I just heard from my roommate that they came frozen, but they did not look frozen when they came home. I will throw them out immediately before feeding any.

I just heard from my roommate that they came frozen, but they did not look frozen when they came home. I will throw them out immediately before feeding any.

Good. They quickly grow rancid when defrosted.

Have you tried the worms yet? It seems like it does go into the water, but will only eat moving food due to it being WC (I'm assuming).

He only goes in the water to move to another platform to sit on. He is getting weaker everyday and I've been cooling his tank down so he's been resting himself on his grassy bit which is partly in the water. He moves around and checks out food but never eats it.My roommate brought the bloodworms straight home from the pet shop, and put them in the freezer, but they did not look the same consistency the next morning as when we pulled them out of the bag so I assume they unthawed too much? I have not tried them because I do not want to risk it. He will stick his whole body in the water but not his face. He still looks at me funny and is aware when I am around his tank, but he just won't eat. He lived in a horrible mukky tank for his whole life (16 years) and lived off of pellets and feeder fish. When I got him I slowly got him used to a cleaner tank and he was happy. We had to change his tank around because the fish grew too large and started attacking them. Ever since the fish started attacking him he hasn't been the same. I don't think he will make it as he just won't eat.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back