Too many axolotls + not enough space?

Jasmini

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Display Name
Jasmine
I have 95 axolotls, which are about 2,5 months old now. They got along fine in the beginning, but now they're growing older, they start biting eachother. More than half of them seem to be missing a leg or a piece of gill. I seperated them a while ago into 7 containers, 6 smaller containers (35 x 50 cm) and a bigger one (75 x 85 cm). Each small container holds 9 - 11 axolotls and the big container 32 (I attached some photo's).

Is there anything I can do to avoid these 'accidents'? Or is it just age?

Attachments

• P6202477.jpg
    P6202477.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 451
  • P6202478.jpg
    P6202478.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 380
I think they are attacking each other because they believe the other axolotls are food - at this age they are stimulated solely by the wiggle reflex - and other axolotl babies wiggle.
The only thing I can recommend - and I know this is completely nuts - is to either divide each container up so that the babies can't reach each other, or put each one in a separate container. I know you have a lot of babies and that's a lot of cleaning, but it's the only way I can think of to prevent it for sure. Even keeping food in with them 24/7 probably won't stop them nipping when they see another axxie.

Sorry I can't offer anything more sensible :(

lots of extra food should hopefully stop most of the nipping, but if it continues you may have to follow Petersgirl's advice and separate them. More hiding places and bigger tubs might also work.

I agree with the other two posters. Would it be possible to divide them by size, too? In the past when I've had juveniles, the bigger ones tended to pick on the smaller ones.

I'll make some extra hiding places today... I already divided them by size, so that should't be the problem. I'm afraid I don't have bigger containers than I have right now, maybe I could use 2 extra containers.

You need to increase the water volume to stop them being over crowded, the problem of missing gills and limbs will become more of an issue as they get bigger if you dont. You also need to find people to offload the large number of babies on to. Its easy to raise large numbers of axolotls, it's a lot harder to source customers. With the number you have you need to look at commercial outlets. If you cannot find customers you will need to cull, unless you want to set up another twenty four foot tanks and keep them your self for the next fifteen years.

You need to increase the water volume to stop them being over crowded, the problem of missing gills and limbs will become more of an issue as they get bigger if you dont. You also need to find people to offload the large number of babies on to. Its easy to raise large numbers of axolotls, it's a lot harder to source customers. With the number you have you need to look at commercial outlets. If you cannot find customers you will need to cull, unless you want to set up another twenty four foot tanks and keep them your self for the next fifteen years.
I already have homes for all of them, but I have exams right now and I'm waiting to replace them when it's over... ;)

Okay, so I reorganized the containers... They are now in 10 container, 8-9 axolotls in the small containers and (I guess) about 24 in the larger one. Every container has minimum 2 hiding places (which float, so I had to put som weight on them, looks ridiculous).

Attachments

• P6212489.jpg
    P6212489.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 216
  • P6212487.jpg
    P6212487.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 227
  • P6212483.jpg
    P6212483.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 286
  • P6212480.jpg
    P6212480.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 234
  • P6212492.jpg
    P6212492.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 228
  • P6212491.jpg
    P6212491.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 238
What I was told was a baby axolotl does not need much space, expecially since they will be going to homes soon it is not a huge issue. What I ended up doing was finding 30 small containers, and putting one in each. 30 was a big hassle to do daily water changes so I can only imagine 95, but if thats what it comes down to it may be needed. I only had to do it for two weeks before they all went to homes. but no matter how much I fed them I was still getting injuries, and I really hate giving people axolotls with a missing foot or something. I know I did the best I could but still. I ended up having to give a few with missing limbs, but they all grew back within 4weeks.

I literally had 30 little tuperware containers, with one in each, and I stacked them ontop of one another because I just didnt have the space! I thought big tuperware containers with only 6-7 in each would be fine but it wasnt.

good luck finding homes for them!

i spend way too much of my time with just one! i can hardly imagination :shocked: 95!!!!!

Attachments

• 100_3725.jpg
    100_3725.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 237
What I was told was a baby axolotl does not need much space, expecially since they will be going to homes soon it is not a huge issue. What I ended up doing was finding 30 small containers, and putting one in each. 30 was a big hassle to do daily water changes so I can only imagine 95, but if thats what it comes down to it may be needed. I only had to do it for two weeks before they all went to homes. but no matter how much I fed them I was still getting injuries, and I really hate giving people axolotls with a missing foot or something. I know I did the best I could but still. I ended up having to give a few with missing limbs, but they all grew back within 4weeks.

I literally had 30 little tuperware containers, with one in each, and I stacked them ontop of one another because I just didnt have the space! I thought big tuperware containers with only 6-7 in each would be fine but it wasnt.

I was thinking about putting them in 95 separated boxes, but I'm afraid I won't have time to clean them all every day :eek:

I sold 2 little axolotls this week, so I'm down to 93. In about 2 weeks, another 16 will leave to the Zoo and a serpentarium. So I'll be able to put less axies into more boxes...

@Narny: It's not really that hard... I 'just' have to clean 10 boxes every day, which costs me about one hour and a half. It's just so nice to see them all growing to healthy and happy axolotls! I'm glad I found good homes for all of them, I started with 200 eggs, so I had to put a few back with the parents...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back