Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ugh cycling woes

RupertxGiles

Reaction score
So I apologize in advance because I know there are lots of threads on cycling, but I have a few questions. We are currently cycling our 40 gallon tank with 3 adult axies in it. Approximately how long should this take? It's been cycling for about 2 weeks, I usually do 50 percent water changes three times weekly. My readings seem out of whack and I'm not sure if they are normal or not. All axies seem healthy and happy and always hungry.

RupertxGiles

Reaction score
Just tested parameters.
Ammonia - not quite .25 ..so somewhere inbetween 0 and .25
Nitrite- .25
Nitrate - 10 ppm

Possum63

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's normal or because the first time I tried cycling my tank it was waaaay out of whack but this second time it seems to be going more smoothly so far... Anyway your parameters are the same as mine currently are and I'm one week into cycling. I'm expecting my nitrite to spike anytime soon because that is apparently what it does and then it drops down to 0 along with ammonia at 0 and thats when you know it's cycled :)

I will keep an eye on this post to see what the more experienced have to say :D Good luck!

snuggly time

Reaction score
It's not looking too bad to be honest. Just keep an eye on that ammonia and nitrite, if they get much higher do more regular water changes so it's not too toxic for your lotls.

It took me 3 months to cycle my tank, I waited 2 months for nitrite readings so yours is going fairly well, lol. Good luck :happy:

RupertxGiles

Reaction score
Lol..ok sounds good. Guess I will have to be patient and continue testing daily :)

Krispen

Reaction score
Hi Rupert-
I had a 40 gallon breeder with......yes, 7 axies... (upgrading soon) almost all are juvies still. Tank has been up for a month with weekly water changes. My nitrite just spiked today- and I just changed water yesterday, so this must be it......

RupertxGiles

Reaction score
I have checked the water daily for the last 3 days...
Ammonia is zero
Nitrate is zero ...yay!!

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
I have checked the water daily for the last 3 days...
Ammonia is zero
Nitrate is zero ...yay!!

Do you mean nitrite is 0? If nitrate is 0 you crashed your cycle. You want a reading of 10-40 for nitrates and 0ammonia 0 nitrite for your tank to be cycled :p

RupertxGiles

Reaction score
Whoops yes I meant nitrite...it was early lol. Ammonia and nitrite are zero...yeahhh!! :p

RupertxGiles

Reaction score
Well if I can do it anyone can. I was a first timer with no cycling knowledge at all... It was a pain in the *** changing the water daily, but it sure pays off !

Krispen

Reaction score
Nitrate 0 and Nitrite 2.0- been doing 50% changes daily since spike....of course I'm getting my 75 gallon tomorrow.........wonder what the move will do? Planning on putting all my sand and water into 75 (from 40) then filling it up. Hope it continues to cycle!!???

Krispen

Reaction score
Ok- still limping along....been doing many water changes because nitrite levels are approaching dangerous levels. Employee at LFS says I really need to let them get really high to colonize beneficial bacteria and not change water for a while because I'm losing bacteria. Also read cycling takes longer at lower temps which most Axie owners should have. I finally took out everybody and put them in large Tupperware storage bin with clean water and hides, added thermometer cranked up and closed canopy to keep in heat. Going to attempt to speed up cycle and doing it without axies. Read up on fishless cycling. Anyone try this? Going to buy some ammonia tomorrow to "feed" tank while it cooks. Wish me luck!!!!

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
When i did this. Like mid cycle take my axies out and let it finish all i did wAs everyday i added the axies waste into the tank. Simulate the axies still being in the tank. Once you have a high nitrite level you just need to keep the bacteria fed.. You dont really need to start cycling it like it just started.. Axie waste will do the trick and dont do any water changes until you have a nitrTe level of 40+ and ammonia and nitrite are 0

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
You are very welcome :) you are at the stage of cycling it seems at least where nitrite is almost at its peak and once that happens it will cycle pretty quickly. It is also the point where levels become dangerous for lotls. So you have two choices at this point in the game.. Continue huge water changes daily and wait another 4weeks to cycle or remove axies and do what i said above and wait a week and test your water. It took my tank a week after removed my axies for my tank to finish its cycle.

Krispen

Reaction score
Update- removed axies 4 days ago; I am using their waste plus a little added pure ammonia AND a bio starter. Today I was at 0.0 for ammonia prior to adding some, 5+ for nitrites and 80 for nitrates!!! :) going to do a 50% change tomorrow and keep watching! Hopefully it's almost done!

layna

Reaction score
Going to attempt to speed up cycle and doing it without axies. Read up on fishless cycling. Anyone try this?

I think Fishless cycling is the easiest type as you dont have to worry about your lottles health :)
All you essentially need to do with it, is 'feed' your tank everyday haha

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1