Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

T. Marmoratus and high temperatures

troll85

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm here for another question.
I live in the city , and during the summer the temperatures are pretty high ( about 28-30 °C).
For this reason this summer I bought an electronic wine cooler only for my T.marmoratus ( because the Pleurodeles should have no problems with this range of temperature).
During the day I leave my newts outside the wine cooler while, I put them inside the wine cooler only during the night at 18 °C ( from 6:00 pm to 8:00 am) because I read that it's important that there is not a ""constant high temperature"" for T.marmoratus.
Do you think that it's dangerous the temperature gap between day and night ( about 10-11 degrees of difference) or do you think that It's better If I keep my dear newts always inside the wine cooler at 18 °C????:confused:
Thanks again for your important advices!!!!

Alex Dow

Reaction score
While I'm not an expert on Newts, I am a frequent forum user, who is also currently experiencing high temperature problems with my first summer coming on. From what I've read, sudden temperature changes of anything more than a few degrees are definitely not advised, as this can stress the newt, and also kill the biological filter.

Personally, I'd advise finding a way to run the water through the wine cooler if possible, for example, I have a canister filter, with a long tube from an old siphon connected to it, this long tube goes round the back of my tank, where the heat lights are usually kept, and comes out the other side. In the light compartment, I try to keep ice cubes and ice bottles to keep the tube cold. What I would advise for you is a similar approach, allowing a tube to feed through your wine cooler, keeping the temperature nice and cool. I hope that makes sense, and I hope it helps :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1